News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

I convexed a folding knife

Started by 3D Anvil, December 22, 2022, 07:40:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3D Anvil

I've had the KJ-45 for a while, but only used the convexing feature once, on a cleaver.  Just for the heck of it, I decided to try it out on a pocket knife.  I think it came out pretty well, and could have been better still if I had spent a little more time at it. 

TireguyfromMA

3D...65 on the BESS is pretty impressive! I like the Levi denim strop too.

3D Anvil

Thanks, Tireguy.  I was surprised by the BESS score myself.  Did not expect a "zero grind" convex to test that well.

Ken S

(being curious, but not critical) What is the thickness of the knife blade? Does the convex grind seem a better choice for this knife than the conventional Tormek grind?

Ken

PS I purchased a Mora Companion Heavy Duty with a 3mm thick blade to try convexing. I have not had the opportunity to try it yet.

3D Anvil

It's about a 4mm blade stock.  I wasn't really interested in performance, honestly -- just checking out the new convexing feature -- but it probably cuts better with the convex given how wide the flat bevel was before.