News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

DIY diamond paste for honing wheel

Started by BennyJ, January 22, 2020, 09:50:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyJ

Hi!

Has anyone tried to make some honing paste with diamond powder before?

I may want to try this.
I have two ideas.

1. Mixing the powder with some oil, maybe mineral oil.
2. Making a mix of beeswax and mineral oil, and adding the powder to that mix.

This i just for fun, i rally don't need the edge to be more shiny than my SJ-250 makes it, but i want to try anyway.

Any advice would be appriciated. :)

Thanks.

- Benny

John_B

Here is a good thread from another forum.

A number of good ideas are offered. Seems cost may be an issue. It may be more cost effective to buy the small quantities you need premixed rather than obtaining the materials in larger quantities.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/how-to-make-your-own-sharpening-paste-what-do-i-mix-with-the-abrasive-help.1139338/
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Dakotapix

After reading your post I thought about it for a bit and came back to the forum to reply. Maybe you know this but diamond paste is readily available from several suppliers including Lee Valley, lapidary companies and several sellers on eBay. I have purchased from both LV and eBay using the diamond paste for sharpening on cast iron or steel plates. It's very inexpensive as supplied ready made. You may have your reasons for making your own brew so go right ahead.

As for using it instead of the Tormek honing compound, I can't comment.

RickKrung

Quote from: Dakotapix on January 23, 2020, 03:30:42 PM
...snip...
As for using it instead of the Tormek honing compound, I can't comment.

Some use alternative compounds on their leather honing wheels and I'm sure diamonds are no different.  I hear more about using diamond pastes on paper wheels and some on felt wheels.  My standard honing regime is now using the SJ wheel for initial honing and 1 micron diamonds on a rock hard felt wheel on my T8, following Knife Grinders (Wootz) deburring guidelines (from his book).  I'll be making the transition to mounting the felt wheel in place of the leather honing wheel, based on CBWX34's idea of using the LA-120 Profile Honing Wheel extension  shaft, to reduce wheel changes on the grindstone side. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ken S

Rick,
I think you have a good plan. I know you will keep us posted; thanks in advance.
Ken