News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

T4 honing wheel size

Started by simonh, January 10, 2020, 01:52:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

simonh

I'm new to the Forum although I've owned a T-4 for over a year and sharpened various household items in addition to my planes and chisels. My wife even presented to me small pair of sewing scissors that she'd run through a electric knife sharpener! After quite abit of work I got back to a 60 degree bevel and they were serviceable again.

I think my one complaint about the T-4 would be the small honing wheel. It's so small that the Angle-Master and SE-77 can't be used with it. I'm not sure the reason for the honing wheel been that size, but IMO it would be an improvement to make it just a bit bigger.

I upgraded to the SJ-200 stone for finishing chisels and plane irons as I just didn't like free-handing on the honing wheel for my woodworking tools as I was concerned of rounding the edges. I then just strop the back on a flat piece of leather.  I still use the honing wheel free hand for knives etc.

-Simon

Ken S

Simon,
A couple work around suggestions:

First, I wanted a larger honing wheel. I purchased an eight inch Duro Felt hard felt wheel. With the EZYlock, it is easu to pop it onto either size Tormek. I have not used it very much, however, it seems promising. I was going to try to rig it up on the drive wheel size. The grinding wheel side seems easier and works well. In hindsight, I wish I had purchased the rock hard grade. Incidentally, a ten inch wheel will fit on the T4 with the water trough removed.

Second, (This idea is from our member CB) a larger felt or paper wheel can be mounted on extension shaft which normally holds the shaped leather honing wheels. This can easily be attached and detached. Switching the original T4 dry side hex nut for the plastic "quick change" locking screw used with the T8 speeds up this process. I switched out both this and the plastic EZYlock for the stainless steel EZYlock used on the T8 years ago. Both work very well with the T4 and are available as spare parts.

Ken

Jan

Quote from: simonh on January 10, 2020, 01:52:01 PM

I upgraded to the SJ-200 stone for finishing chisels and plane irons as I just didn't like free-handing on the honing wheel for my woodworking tools as I was concerned of rounding the edges. I then just strop the back on a flat piece of leather.  I still use the honing wheel free hand for knives etc.

Simon, you are correct, free-hand honing is not as good as guided honing using USB and the knife jig.

Some time ago I thought of making an optional honing leather wheel of the same diameter as the grinding wheel. For a new wheel or a diamond wheel it would be 250 mm. This will allow to use the same set up for sharpening and honing.

The jig stop can be used to slightly enlarge to honing angle.

Jan

Ken S

Good thoughts, Jan. I agree. I suspect that hand held honing grew out of a perceived need for speed. I believe the direction of the wind may be changing to more accurate sharpening. In my opinion, that would include jig held honing.
Frankly, I welcome this change, although I do not see time efficient and accurate sharpening as mutually exclusive.

Ken

John_B

Quote from: Ken S on January 10, 2020, 11:03:45 PM
Good thoughts, Jan. I agree. I suspect that hand held honing grew out of a perceived need for speed. I believe the direction of the wind may be changing to more accurate sharpening. In my opinion, that would include jig held honing.
Frankly, I welcome this change, although I do not see time efficient and accurate sharpening as mutually exclusive.

Ken

Ken, do you recall any discussions on how sharp an edge is achievable with hand honing? I know my hand honing ability was truly abysmal when I started but my skill quickly increased over time. I abandoned hand honing when I got the FVB.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Ken S

John,
Good question, I do not recall anything definitive. I think the skill and care of the operator is a big factor. I know several expert sharpeners who freehand honing regularly whose work I would not question. For mere mortals like me, I prefer jig honing.

Ken

Edwe

I now thinking of going to replace the leather wheel with a 10"x2" rock hard DuoFelt on a T4.

Will it fit on the axle, will it fit in size

Ken S

Edwe,

I would not recommend it. The reason I mentioned about a ten inch felt wheel fitting on a T4 is because it would allow me to leave the same size felt wheel in place on my T4 while leaving the same size grinding wheel in place on my T8. I do not remember, are you using a T4 or a T8?

Also, with the Tormek grinding wheels, the center is inset to keep the side flat. As I recall, my non Tormek 600 grit grinding wheel does not have this inset. It works, but is a tight fit. I have used one inch thick grinding and felt wheels. I have not found the one inch thickness a constraint.

As a practical consideration, I think a 10x2" felt wheel on the "dry" side (leather honing wheel side) would be too heavy and large to work well. Using CB's idea of using the shaft extension normally used with the shaped leather wheels seems promising with an 8x1" felt wheel.

Ken

Edwe

I have a T4 Ken :)

Ok a 8" would be ok by me, but Im not familiar with the "shaft extension", couldnt fint it on Tormeks site. And Im curious wouldn't it make the Wheel to wobble or go out of centre?

Ken S

Edwe,

Here is a link which shows the extension shaft:

https://advanced-machinery.myshopify.com/products/1240-shaft

I have not tried it, however, CB has posted about it. I hope he will reply.

If you are using the T4, the eight inch felt wheel would match your SG-200.

Ken

Edwe

Tnx Ken :)

Im not worried about the wheels to be the same size as I have setups for both of em
Sorry the pic don't show I have 2 rods

cbwx34

Quote from: Edwe on January 22, 2020, 06:46:09 PM
I have a T4 Ken :)

Ok a 8" would be ok by me, but Im not familiar with the "shaft extension", couldnt fint it on Tormeks site. And Im curious wouldn't it make the Wheel to wobble or go out of centre?

Never had a problem...

... even mounted a larger leather wheel on the T-4... just to see if I could...

... had to use most of the "LA-120 kit" to do it though.  (I did it 'cause I had it, but probably a better way). ;)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Edwe

Tnx fir pic CB

Love pics :)

I see your T4 is green, I have a blue one. Do you know if there is a diff in hights?
So what i read u shouldnt think there be any problem with a 10" durofelt wheel, or?

Im now looking after an extension shaft, either as a part from the LA-120 kit or the 1240 Shaft, but i rather buy it from Sweden or EU

cbwx34

Quote from: Edwe on January 23, 2020, 04:52:05 PM
Tnx fir pic CB

Love pics :)

I see your T4 is green, I have a blue one. Do you know if there is a diff in hights?
So what i read u shouldnt think there be any problem with a 10" durofelt wheel, or?

Im now looking after an extension shaft, either as a part from the LA-120 kit or the 1240 Shaft, but i rather buy it from Sweden or EU

There's no difference in size between the two.

I have not used a 10" wheel (of any type) with this setup... so all I can say is, by measuring, I think it should work.

Edit:  I went back and looked at the pictures... the "green" machine is actually a Supergrind 2K.  The bottom picture is on a T-4.  The extension works the same on either one. :)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Edwe

Thanx a lot CB

I'l ask Tormek of they could sell only the extension part of the LA-120 kit to me.
Otherwise I have to see if I could find the 1240 Shaft somewhere in EU.

I have to think more about 8 or 10" wheel :)