News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek T2

Started by jeffs55, January 03, 2020, 07:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffs55

Is this dedicated knife sharpener better than, the same as or what compared to the multi talented Tormeks when sharpening a knife? I know it has diamond stones but that doesn't make it better to me. I mean as in symmetry of edge angle, ease of following a curving blade and access to the honing wheel.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Ken S

Interesting question, Jeff.

Some background information about the T2 compared with "the multitalented Tormeks":

The two diamond wheels for the T2 also fit the T4. (They also fit the larger Tormeks as well as any grinding wheel worn to eight inches.) These two diamond wheels are the 600 grit DWF-200, which is included with the T2, and the DWC-200 360 grit wheel. DWF and DWC stand for Diamond Wheel Fine and Coarse. EDIT: I should add that Tormek only recommends these two diamond wheels for dry use. The rubber honing wheel also fits the T4 and the larger Tormeks. I know this because within an hour of getting my T2, both the DWF-200 and the rubber honing wheel were installed on my T4. The mainshaft and EZYlock of the T2 and T4 are the same parts, as are almost all of the parts. A surprising number of the parts are also the same as the larger Tormeks.

The knife jig of the T2 is unique to the T2.

The T2 is specifically designed to allow restaurant staff, presumably untrained in sharpening, to sharpen standard kitchen knives. The T2 uses a dry grinding wheel and the rubber honing wheel uses no honing paste. Tormek has never claimed that the T2 is a substitute for "the multitalented Tormeks" for professional sharpeners.

The rubber honing wheel is tapered, I believe to assist with honing longer knives. I have a gut feeling, based on no information from Tormek, that we may see rubberized abrasive honing wheels for both sizes of Tormek models. This would be history repeating itself. The present threaded plastic knob which securesthe leather honing wheel on the T8 was introduced as the optional "Quick Connect" when Tormek briefly introduced the EC-240 optional rubberized abrasive honing wheel. Those days are long gone, perhaps not forever. (I must repeat that these are strictly my own thoughts, with no information from Tormek.)

Back to your original question, I feel the T2 serves a niche market of restaurant customers. It does that limited task well. For general sharpening, including knife sharpening, my vote goes to the "multitalented Tormeks", which get more talented every year.

Ken

jeffs55

I would say then that the T2 is a knife sharpener for "Dummies". In other words a device made so simple that anyone can use it. It is used dry to keep it that much simpler. As you know, someone would forget to put water in the trough and someone else would spill it. I wonder then, if the special jig fits the other Tormeks?

Ken S

Ouch! I think that's a bit harsh. I would certainly not consider a good chef a dummy. Nor would I consider a good sharpener who enjoys the chef's cooking a dummy. We just have developed different skills.

Actually, although the T2 knife jig cannot be used with the other Tormek models as is, CB has posted that it can be slightly modified to be a superb small platform jig. The problem is that the parts from Tormek are priced at almost $100. This is really unfortunate, as Tormek could adapt it into a very useful jig.

Going back to your "multitalented Tormek models" idea, the T2 is not intended to be multitalented. It is designed to be very talented for a specific market, the restaurant industry.

Ken

jeffs55

Yeah, I didn't mean "dummies" as in stupid but rather as in untrained.

Ken S

Jeff,

I reverted to my last millenium self and misunderstood your meaning. In the present era, the word implies more of the "for dummies" book series, meaning those who would like more specific training. I like your definition better.

Ken