News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Re-riveting old moustache scissors

Started by Jan, December 11, 2019, 05:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jan

Recently I was sharpening old moustache scissors. The factual value of the scissors is quite low but the emotional value is high because it was used by my father and grandfather.
The blades had large play and wobbled. Rivet tightening did not solve the problem and so I decided to replace the rivet.

After de-riveting it was easier to mount the very narrow blades in the Tormek scissors jig and sharpen them.

Steel rivets with suitable cylindrical heads are not available in a hardware store and so I was forced to make my own rivet. But how to do it without a mini lathe? I used metric bolt M3, mounted it into my Proxxon grinder and gently touched the grindstone of the bench grinder. See the picture. After three attempts the bolt head was reduced to a suitable size. After tightly riveting the scissors work fine again.

Jan

Ken S