News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

The chip SG stone made

Started by Sharpco, November 19, 2019, 06:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharpco

I used SG-250. The dressing is done by diamond plate(#80 >>> #400). After that, I did honing on leather wheel.

But I could find chip on the edge. Could you tell me what's wrong?  ???

jeffs55

I am going to say that the angle is too sharp, so the blade is so thin it chipped from a faulty inclusion.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Sharpco

Quote from: jeffs55 on November 19, 2019, 10:43:57 AM
I am going to say that the angle is too sharp, so the blade is so thin it chipped from a faulty inclusion.

It's about 17 dps. I think it was not too low.

cbwx34

Quote from: SHARPCO on November 19, 2019, 06:07:34 AM
I used SG-250. The dressing is done by diamond plate(#80 >>> #400). After that, I did honing on leather wheel.

But I could find chip on the edge. Could you tell me what's wrong?  ???

If grading the stone with an 80g diamond plate really leaves it that coarse, try not to grind all the way to the edge... you'll end up with large chips in the edge that you have to grind out with a finer finish.  Stop before the coarse grind reaches all the way to the edge.

That's what the picture looks like... a large 'groove' in the bevel, that leads to the chip.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

John_B

The main bevel adjacent to the edge appears to be extremely coarsely ground. I think that this may be leading to your problem. I see very deep grooves at 90° to the edge and I think when you sharpen the edge you end up with areas that are extremely thin and fragile.

Another possibility is if the knife has been improperly used it may have developed micro cracks which are not visible to the naked eye. These cracks can propagate during sharpening and result in the nicks you see.

I only use the 80 grit when I need rapid material removal for an already damaged knife or one where I am changing the angle.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Sharpco

Thank you all. I'll try to stay longer on the #1000 SG wheel(dressed by #400 diamond plate).

Stickan

Hi all,
I was reading john.jcg's answer about micro craks which I am certain is the main reason.

"Another possibility is if the knife has been improperly used it may have developed micro-cracks which are not visible to the naked eye. These cracks can propagate during sharpening and result in the nicks you see."

Knives with powder steel tend to have this kind of breakout more than knives with stainless steel.

The main reason I checked the forum today was to wish all a great and sharp weekend!

Sincerely,
Stig