News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

wet-grinding spokeshave blades: best Tormek jig?

Started by Bob Jones, November 12, 2019, 07:50:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Jones

Do any of the Tormek jigs work well for grinding spokeshave blades?

Ken S

Good question, Bob. I don't use spokeshaves much, but recall placing a blade in my square edge jig. As I recall, the standard flat spokeshave blade fit in the jig.

Ken

AKMike

The handbook recommends the SVD-110, used vertically.

Mike

Bob Jones

Mike,

Yes, I suppose that would be the best bet.  I'm going to make a wooden holder for the blade to use with my Eclipse honing jig and water stones.  The same holder would give the short little spokeshave blade a bit more stability on the SVD-110.  Still, it would be nice to have something to clamp around it or over it while it's on the wheel.  My holder is probably going to be too thick to use the SE-77.  Maybe I'll rethink its design to thin it down.

Thanks,
Bob

Ken S

Bob,

I noticed a photo of a modified Eclipse jig in Tom Lie-Nielsen's book on sharpening. The Eclipse jig had two metal pins in the back. This was long before L-N started making its own version of the jig. The two pins allowed the Eclipse jig to rest securely on the Tormek support bar. Presumably, the jig could be transferred from the Tormek to the 8000 grit water stone.

Wanting more information, I emailed L-N. Deneb Puchalski replied. Apparently at some point L-N looked into using a Tormek. The given reason for not using a Tormek was the lack of an 8000 grit wheel. (L-N also happens to sell bench stones, no negative implications intended; their sharpening method works very well.) I think the two pin Eclipse jig modification has potential.

I also think making one of Herman's small platform jigs would work better for this than the larger Tormek platform. The smaller platform would give you better finger control. If you make one (not difficult) I suggest starting with the platform from the scissors jig like Herman did. I made mine starting with the larger Tormek platform. It is OK, however the lower center of gravity of the scissors jig platform works better. You will find the small platform useful for many tools. I wish Tormek made one.

I reshaped the profile of a one inch turning skew to Lacer grind using the large platform to form the new bevels. The vertical position is definitely faster. However, for sharpening a spokeshave blade, you might try the horizontal position. I prefer the extra control of the horizontal position, and you would be removing very little metal.

Here is a link to the L-N book:

https://www.amazon.com/Tauntons-Complete-Illustrated-Sharpening-Taunton/dp/1631860860

Keep us posted.

Ken

Bob Jones

Well, that makes me wish either my Eclipse or my Taiwan "Eclipse" knockoff had those pins in the back!

But who is Herman, and what is his jig?

Ken S

Here is a link to the you tube Herman made showing him using his small platform.

https://youtu.be/AcWAkQmoU8c

Ken

RobinW

Here's a link to how I tackled spokeshave blades on my Tormek:-

https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=1656.0

Somewhere in the depths of the forum, I also made a jig suitable for a Miller Falls circular spokeshave blade.

RobinW

I think I may have mis-read Bob Jones original query. If he means the type of small spokeshave blades ( eg as fitted to Stanley or Preston and similar spokeshaves) which are flat blades without tangs, then I had the same problem. In the end, made a steel jig which fits the SE-76/Se-77. Its idea and development with a manufacturing drawing is shown in another post:-

https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=1620.0

RichColvin

Quote from: Bob Jones on November 13, 2019, 06:47:10 AM
Mike,

Yes, I suppose that would be the best bet.  I'm going to make a wooden holder for the blade to use with my Eclipse honing jig and water stones.  The same holder would give the short little spokeshave blade a bit more stability on the SVD-110.  Still, it would be nice to have something to clamp around it or over it while it's on the wheel.  My holder is probably going to be too thick to use the SE-77.  Maybe I'll rethink its design to thin it down.

Thanks,
Bob

Bob,

There is a great article in Fine Woodworking about the wooden holder I think you are referring to.  (You may need a membership to read it online  — don't know.)

https://www.finewoodworking.com/2014/12/03/how-to-sharpen-a-spokeshave

This would work well with a platform like the SVD-110.

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Bob Jones

Thanks Rich.  True enough, I need a membership to view the video.  Thanks anyway.