News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

SJ-250 Stone cracking on edges

Started by Mewsikman, November 06, 2019, 11:46:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mewsikman

Hello all,

This is my first post on here. I've owned the Tormek T8 for well over a year now, I bought it originally for touching up HSS lathe cutters with the SB-250 wheel and on the odd occasion sharpening chisels with the SG-250. I treated myself to the SJ-250 a couple of months back and have been very impressed with the results that stone produces, yesterday whilst I was sharpening a set of chisel for a neighbour, I noticed there was cracks appearing running in the rotation direction on the edges of the stone. These are very deep, it's almost like it's de-laminating.  I've tried re truing the wheel to cut out these cracks but they keep reappearing. Any suggestions as to what it might be?

Thank you in advance

Alex

Mewsikman

Twisted Trees

Hi Alex,

My first thought on looking those pictures is that shouldn't happen, take it back to the dealer!

Immediately followed by Ken will have a better answer to this when he comes online, which he will. but you can help him shape that answer by giving your country and possibly area / state of that country, and where you bought the stone i.e. dealer or online.

TT

Ken S

Alex, Twisted Trees reads my thoughts well. Since you have already tried truing your wheel with no success, I would either return it to the dealer or contact support. I believe grinding wheels have the Tormek two year accessory warranty. Most dealers handle multiple brands. Tormek support handles only Tormek. If your dealer will swap your wheel for a new one, I would contact the dealer. You will want to establish a good working long term relationship with your Tormek dealer. Hopefully your dealer will do right.
Please let us know how this is resolved.
Ken