News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Knife Blade recomedations pls

Started by Morne1312, October 18, 2019, 07:33:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morne1312

Hi All.

I Have a Spyderco PM2 knive that I would like to sharpen properly.

The challenge I face is that the blade tapers from tang to tip as well as from spine to edge.

How would you go about clamping this blade? does the spring force in the clamp compensate for this uneven symmetry or what would you suggest?

Has someone done a blade like this before that can give some suggestions?

kwakster

I think that in cases like this the small knife rest would be a better option than the clamp, but at least at the moment you would have to make one yourself as Tormek isn't offering these.

A second option would be to use a set of Paper Wheels and just sharpen them freehand.
That is what i do in general with knives like these.

Even

On more expensive knives I try and solve this by shimming it up.
But on the maistream, I use the smal knife jig

Even

Josu V

I have sharpen various folding knives with this blade form.
The procedure is the usual.
I protect the blade with adhesive tape an clamp it on SVM-45. Then adjust the USB  to obtain the angle and start to sharpening.

The SVM-45 jig adapt to the blade without problems. Really, all knives have that shape to a greater or lesser extent.
Reciently they brought me one Spyderco Military and I remember that have the same shape... perhaps more stylized. The SVM-45 worked perfectly.

Regards
Abusus non tollit usum

kwakster

Yesterday i did this Spyderco PM2 in S30V steel on the Tormek SB-250 Blackstone using the small knife rest, then deburred on my homemade MDF wheel (actually a rim over the leather wheel), which is coated with 1.0 micron diamond paste.
The new edge measures ~30 degrees inclusive.

Also did this Benchmade Mini-Griptilian in 20CV steel the same way on the small knife rest, and the new edge also measures ~30 degrees inclusive.