News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Grinding software upgrade is coming

Started by wootz, October 15, 2019, 08:42:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dutchman

Quote from: chiamsi on March 30, 2020, 08:46:24 AM
I tried to purchase the Mac version on the App Store but it is not available in the German App Store.
Is there any other way to get the SW?
It is not in the app store.
Here it is: https://connect.calcapp.net/?app=qq0pg0#/

Al

Have heard from Wootz managed to get all my apps working a treat .things have been quite slow down here in NZ with Covid 19 putting our whole country in lock down for at least a month

John_B

Quote from: Al on March 30, 2020, 11:51:35 AM
Have heard from Wootz managed to get all my apps working a treat .things have been quite slow down here in NZ with Covid 19 putting our whole country in lock down for at least a month

Al I hope all is well in NZ. It is quiet here in the US with almost everyone in their homes. I will probably go grocery shopping this week. The weather where I live has been awful with rain and some snow so it was not hard to remain indoors. The Sun is actually out today and maybe I will get out and do some yard work. I have a lot of pork ribs in the freezer aand plan on smoking them when it is a tad warmer.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Roger M.

For those using the KnifeGrinders software, Vadim just updated his software yesterday for the iPhone. So the Grinding Angle Setter app, and the FVB app are both available right now to update via the iPhone App Store.

He's also updated the Grinding Angle Setter app for the MacBook laptop, but he notes that today (March 30th) Apple has not yet uploaded the updated version, so he suggests you (actually "I") wait a day or two to make sure you're either purchasing, or updating to this most recent version.

Great news for users of Vadim's software.

John_B

Thanks for the heads up Roger. I will update mine this morning.
Sharpen the knife blade
Cut with joy and ease

chiamsi

I bought the Grinding Angle Settings SW on the App Store for IOS.
Cant find the setting for the grinding wheel diameter and the blade thickness.
Is this correct?

Regards
Ernst

John_B

Both values should be available for entry.

I looked at mine and the values are there for entry.
Sharpen the knife blade
Cut with joy and ease

Roger M.

Quote from: chiamsi on March 31, 2020, 08:40:22 PM
I bought the Grinding Angle Settings SW on the App Store for IOS.
Cant find the setting for the grinding wheel diameter and the blade thickness.
Is this correct?

Regards
Ernst
Attach a screenshot. Your post doesn't make a lot of sense in light of the app being one small window with a few fields to fill in.

chiamsi

looked at it again and indeed you guys are 100% right.
My mistake!
I thought the grinding wheel diameter is related to the Torweg-8 only

Ernst

Roger M.

Ahhh, yes ... I know exactly what you're talking about.
Even though it's a small window that contains the entire app, you do have to be clear that the radio buttons to select the model number have nothing to do with the text for the variables immediately to the right of those radio buttons.
There should probably be a vertical line separating the machine model selection buttons from the text describing the assorted fields that you enter the variables into ... it can be a bit confusing for a new user.

wootz

Quote from: wootz on November 16, 2019, 01:43:07 AM
Tormek-4 owners, please bear with me - the testing is still in progress.

We do not use Tormek-4 in our sharpening workshop, but I've bought a T-4 for the purpose of the testing. Proper testing requires constant diameter of the grinding wheels; since we do not make 200mm CBN wheels I had to order them from WoodTurnersWonders USA, but they say they are on backorder from their factory, ETA 4 weeks.

I will have every grinding and honing regimen tested for T-4 as we've done for T-7 and T-8, and in 2 months the software for T-4 will become as reliable as it is now for T-7/8. For now the result may be playing in both the Grinding Angle Setter and the Frontal Vertical Base applet because of the pure theoretical extrapolation based on the T-4 constants.
T-4 is the last piece in our big revision that is still pending experimental verification... Well, if I can find a SuperGrind 2000 around, I will test it in real sharpening as well.
When ready, I will email the update to Tormek T-4 owners we have on our records. Appreciate your patience.

Tormek T-4 updated software is available as of yesterday.
We've updated both the Grinding Angle Setter and Frontal Vertical Base for Tormek applets in the part of T-4.
Testing has shown that the software works accurately for Tormek T-4.

Please see our YouTube video for how to update your applets:
https://youtu.be/DTq71b033OQ

Cheers,
Vadim

cbwx34

Hey Wootz... I have a couple of calculator questions for you...

I was programming a new calculator, and was using yours to check the answers... when I ran across a couple of things I had questions about.

When I change the blade thickness in the "Grinding Angle Setter" app, for example: T-4 WD:200 PD:139 A:20, I get the following...

0.2  165.42
0.5  165.05
1.0  164.45
1.5  163.84
2.0  164.51
2.5  163.94
3.0  163.36

... as you can see, the numbers decrease until 2.0 where it jumps back up, and then decreases again.  It also does this on the T-8 setting (WD changed to 250), you get a jump back up at 2.0, then starts decreasing again.  Is there a reason or an error?  I don't see this on the FVB calculator... it decrease all the way thru.

My second question... why does the main app change less than the FVB app between thicknesses?  The difference between 3.0 and 0.2 above is 2.06... the same range in the FVB is 4.32.  There a reason for this?

Also, (since my email went unanswered + I know I'm not the only one), how does a person who bought an FVB get the updated PIN # for the app?  I know it's not needed right away, but when a phone is switched or reset, the PIN is needed. ;)

Thanks!
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

cbwx34

Well, I have to say, my inadvertent discovery led me down an interesting path this weekend.  (Buckle your seatbelts)...

Wootz may not be aware, but a recent new forum member posted the code to his calculator.  So, I used it to program a calculator that matches the results of Wootz's calculator, to try and figure out what was going on here.  From that, I made an interesting discovery...

The "Blade Thickness" Correction:

Wootz states, based on page 6 of Dutchman's book, that blade thickness matters.  Now, if you read the entire section in the book, it only matters in certain circumstances.  But Wootz claimed it always matters, and his calculator now requires an entry for blade thickness, and uses it in the formula.  Now, keep this in mind... if you adjust for blade thickness, you shorten the Projection Distance, which results in a LOWER USB height.  And part of Wootz calculator does this.  But, there's more.  Enter...

The "Correction Factor":

Here's where things get a bit shall we say... interesting.  Wootz calculator has a second part that adds a "thickness correction" to it.  This correction takes a number based on the angle and blade thickness entered, and adds this correction back to the angle.  This results in a HIGHER USB height.  So, to be clear... the "correction factor" CANCELS the result of the Blade Thickness correction (partly or completely depending on the angle and blade thickness).

What's even more interesting is, the "Correction Factor" isn't tied to anything... it just makes "jumps" depending on the angle and thickness.  That's why I got the results in my earlier post because, at 2mm... it jumped to a higher correction.  (My guess here is, that just entering a blade thickness correction got so far off, he had to figure out a way to offset it... because there's no correlation to anything?)  If you want an example, from the post I made earlier, a blade with a .95mm thickness would give the same answer as a blade at 2.0mm thickness.  So, how does thickness matter...

So, why am i posting this?  Like I've said before, some of this doesn't matter... consistency does too, so if you're using the wootz calculator, stick with it, the actual numbers for the most part, aren't that different (and where they are, sometimes favors the sharpener).

It's because Wootz, repeatedly in this thread, made statements that "thickness matters" and even more importantly, that the other calculators being used were wrong not to include it.  For example...

Quote from: wootz on October 26, 2019, 12:51:13 PM
I did trial sharpening by Jan's formula / JVH _TormekCalc.xlsx with a knife 2.5 mm thick at the spine - the results:
If you have a laser protractor, you can see to yourself that neither Jan's formula nor _TormekCalc.xlsx by JVH grind to the exact angle, and the thicker the blade, the greater is deviation from the target.

While our updated Grinding Angle Setter and the FVB applet grind exact angle, as I've shown in the testing results.

... and repeatedly claimed how important thickness, and how accurate he is.  Then he creates a calculator that requires thickness be entered... but makes a correction to try and cancel it out?  (And, btw, his quote here is a bit false because the "thicker the blade" the more he corrects for it).  It certainly appears that it doesn't... and it also calls into question what was brought up earlier... the ability to measure the results he's given.

You be the judge..............

Jan

CB, thanks for your analysis of the upgraded SW.

You are correct, but I am wondering why you did not mention that the upgraded SW still uses the old Dutchman formula? It is incomprehensible, isn't it?

Jan

cbwx34

Quote from: Jan on June 29, 2020, 09:27:19 PM
CB, thanks for your analysis of the upgraded SW.

You are correct, but I am wondering why you did not mention that the upgraded SW still uses the old Dutchman formula? It is incomprehensible, isn't it?

Jan

True, and probably worth mentioning... I just thought of it as a separate issue than what was talked about in this thread.