News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Grinding software upgrade is coming

Started by wootz, October 15, 2019, 08:42:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbwx34

Quote from: Dutchman on November 09, 2019, 07:13:01 PM
But the most important thing about this method is that the setting is also much faster if you don't use that computer. :) ;) :D ;D

It makes me look more smarter.   ;D
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Quote from: cbwx34 on November 09, 2019, 09:23:27 PM
Quote from: Dutchman on November 09, 2019, 07:13:01 PM
But the most important thing about this method is that the setting is also much faster if you don't use that computer. :) ;) :D ;D

It makes me look more smarter.   ;D

The ancestor of the kenjig used neither a computer, grinding tables nor math. I used my TTS-100 turning tool setter and, only for setting up the TTS-100, my Anglemaster. I used the two holes in the TTS-100 to set the Distance. I don't remember the exact Distance; it doesn't matter. What does matter is that it is constant and easily repeatable.

I set the Projection (for sharpening chisels) by placing the chisel in the square edge jig and adjusting the Projection with my Anglemaster until it matched the desired angle. I placed a blank piece of white labelmaker tape in one of the slots of the TTS-100 and used a Sharpie to scribe a line for the Projection. The last step was to note the degrees ("25°").

The initial set up was a bit clumsy, however, every chisel afterward is set up quickly, consistently, and with no calculating, either with computer or grinding tables.

When Dutchman posted his booklet in 2014, I realized that his tables would be a hyper leap forward in applying standard settings to knives. Supported by his tables, I can use a humble kenjig made several years ago and get consistent settings very quickly.

Today, I also have the Knife Grinders applet in my arsenal of available tools. I use the applet differently than shown in the KG videos. I believe the videos show the correct way to learn how to use the applet. However, in my case, my knife sharpening is limited and simple. I am rethinking my 15° bevel angle. I may eventually change my standardized angle to 12°. Either way, it will be constant. My Projection will remain at 139 mm. My Distance will remain almost constant, varying only slightly with wheel wear, except for diamond and CBN wheels which remain constant. The diameter of my leather honing wheel remains constant. Using the applet allows me to incorporate my recently purchased FVB. However, the set up for the FVB for me, once established, will remain constant. I do not need a computer in my workshop.

Occasionally I do need to make changes. I needed to use Dutchman's tables to make a kenjig to sharpen my Chinese cleaver. I added another SVM-45 jig with paring knives set for 125mm Projection to eliminate the need for the small blade tool. This required using the tables and making another kenjig.

As I become more sophisticated with burr removal, I plan to use the applet more with initial set up.

Back to Dutchman's quote, I agree that not needing a computer for routine sharpening is definitely faster.

Must dash.

Ken

wootz

Tormek-4 owners, please bear with me - the testing is still in progress.

We do not use Tormek-4 in our sharpening workshop, but I've bought a T-4 for the purpose of the testing. Proper testing requires constant diameter of the grinding wheels; since we do not make 200mm CBN wheels I had to order them from WoodTurnersWonders USA, but they say they are on backorder from their factory, ETA 4 weeks.

I will have every grinding and honing regimen tested for T-4 as we've done for T-7 and T-8, and in 2 months the software for T-4 will become as reliable as it is now for T-7/8. For now the result may be playing in both the Grinding Angle Setter and the Frontal Vertical Base applet because of the pure theoretical extrapolation based on the T-4 constants.
T-4 is the last piece in our big revision that is still pending experimental verification... Well, if I can find a SuperGrind 2000 around, I will test it in real sharpening as well.
When ready, I will email the update to Tormek T-4 owners we have on our records. Appreciate your patience.

Ken S

Wootz,

On behalf of the millions of T4 owners who have been anticipating your applet, THANK YOU!

Ken

Nitram

Hello Wootz,

Thank you very much for your efforts to test the software on the T-4, too.
No problem if it takes a while.

Cheers

Roger M.

I don't see updates anywhere else on this forum (or any other or that matter), but was wondering if anybody has heard anything related to the updated information Wootz indicated he was working on for the benefit of T-4 owners?

cbwx34

Quote from: Roger M. on February 28, 2020, 09:35:30 PM
I don't see updates anywhere else on this forum (or any other or that matter), but was wondering if anybody has heard anything related to the updated information Wootz indicated he was working on for the benefit of T-4 owners?

I haven't seen any updates to the app since he last posted.

If you're talking about the standard app, it appears pretty accurate to me.  (I use .5mm for thickness... it seems to be closest to answers I get with other calculators).

Do you have the FVB and software and have you tried it?  I tested it a while back, and it seemed to give results that were almost 5° low compared to both measuring directly to the wheel or comparing it with the AngleMaster (and a flat target).  I figured since KnifeGrinders was going to update the app, I'd wait and see what the results were (but forgot about it until you brought it up).

Didn't spend a lot of time on it... would be interesting to see what you're getting, if you (or anyone else) have the FVB setup.

Scotty

I am new to the world of "really sharp" knives, but have been on the quest for years.
After reading Wootz's book (learn something new each time), watching the videos, and scouring anything I could find, I believe I am on the right path.

Having said that , it may be kinda like golf: always trying but never attain the grail.
I have downloaded three of Knife Grinder's apps (Grinding Angle Setter, Paper Wheel Angle Setter, and Front Vertical Base).
Problem I am having is the first two programs will not accept a "blade thickness behind the edge in mm" value of less than 1 (eg 0.7 etc.) and if I leave it blank, the program will not compute.
Issue with the FVB program will not process without the PIN code for the FVB.
Since they were not available on til recently, I had fabricated my own FVB ( after reading about some members of this forum doing so).
Just trying to do it correctly
Would appreciate any thoughts and/or advice
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in this world. Marines don't have that problem."
President Ronald Regan

Al

I am having problems with the 3 apps opening
Have just gotten a new laptop and can't open any of them. I too think I need the activation pin from knife grinders. Have emailed them about this issue but haven't heard anything in the last few weeks. Wootz must be run off his feet!
Very unusual as he is usually really prompt

cbwx34

Quote from: Scotty on March 17, 2020, 05:23:54 PM
I am new to the world of "really sharp" knives, but have been on the quest for years.
After reading Wootz's book (learn something new each time), watching the videos, and scouring anything I could find, I believe I am on the right path.

Having said that , it may be kinda like golf: always trying but never attain the grail.
I have downloaded three of Knife Grinder's apps (Grinding Angle Setter, Paper Wheel Angle Setter, and Front Vertical Base).
Problem I am having is the first two programs will not accept a "blade thickness behind the edge in mm" value of less than 1 (eg 0.7 etc.) and if I leave it blank, the program will not compute.
Issue with the FVB program will not process without the PIN code for the FVB.
Since they were not available on til recently, I had fabricated my own FVB ( after reading about some members of this forum doing so).
Just trying to do it correctly
Would appreciate any thoughts and/or advice

I can tell you that Wootz (KnifeGrinders) believes thickness matters, and will not allow a lower value.  I emailed him about that, and that is what he believes, so that is not an error, it is intentional.

Edit:  I should add, there is a bug depending on what version you use.  You can enter a value below 1 for thickness, but you have to enter it as 0.5  not just .5     You have to use the "0." and should be able to enter down to 0.2mm, depending on the other parameters.

If you fabricated your own FVB, unless you have the exact measurements and dimensions as the one KnifeGrinders makes, his computer program will not work with your setup.  (And, I don't think he will program one for your setup anymore).  (To get the PIN #, you have to purchase his FVB).

But there are other options! ;)  Click on my signature....  8) 

Scotty

Well dang.
Thanks.
Tried all variations  of data that I can think of.
Reckon I will have to get his FVB - even though I was kinda proud of mine.
Appreciate the response.
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in this world. Marines don't have that problem."
President Ronald Regan

cbwx34

Quote from: Scotty on March 17, 2020, 09:12:16 PM
Well dang.
Thanks.
Tried all variations  of data that I can think of.
Reckon I will have to get his FVB - even though I was kinda proud of mine.
Appreciate the response.

If you click on my signature link... there are several calculators available... any that measure directly to the wheel, will work with your FVB.

Scotty

Thanks, but cannot find the link.
Working off an IPad,  so I am limited on computer interface.
President Ronald Regan

cbwx34

chiamsi

Hello,
I am new here and just ordered a t-4. I tried to purchase the Mac version on the App Store but it is not available in the German App Store.
Is there any other way to get the SW?

Thank you
Ernst