News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Grinding software upgrade is coming

Started by wootz, October 15, 2019, 08:42:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jan

I hope the upgraded SW will be corrected soon again.

In the past KG was issuing incorrect sharpness certificates saying that 100 on BESS ≈ 1 micron. After some time and several interventions from different sites in the world it was corrected by dividing the apex width by five! The initial error was not a misprint, it was done intentionally. The motivation was to speak the language of the local customers. The current KG certificate is OK.

The great role of constructive feedback, provided e.g. by CBWX, is to keep everyone on track and help to avoid major mistakes, namely in the concept.

Jan

RickKrung

So, what is the correct relationship between apex width and sharpness and is there a way to relate that to BESS scores?  If I read your message correctly, it sounds like the apex width of a 100 BESS score would be about 0.2 micron. 

Is there reference material to look at?  Was this posted here and I missed it? 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Jan

Yes Rick, you are correct. The apex width of 100 BESS score should be about 0.2 micron (200 nanometers).

The reference material is here: https://www.edgeonup.com/Support_Document.pdf

Jan

dec11ad

Quote from: wootz on October 23, 2019, 08:05:37 PM
A word on home-made FVBs.
4 months ago we started CNC machining the FVB base, and have tolerances tight.
If your self-made FVB does not have the base of the same thickness as ours or legs in the wrong position, you will be getting less accurate results, and all the man-hours we've put into this software improvement will be wasted as you will not be getting better deburring and sharpness with it.
I'll be stopping making custom applets for home-made FVBs because of that, because formulas by themselves will never match the algorithm fine-tuned to our particular FVB make.

Could you post or send me the measurements/print to the FVB so I can fabricate my own in our machine shop?

Roger M.

Whatever came along with iOS 16.2 (20C65) has unfortunately rendered both of the Knifegrinder apps unusable on iPhone, as they try to execute a forced update, and of course the apps are no longer in the app store.

I don't know what the Android situation is currently? ... perhaps the apps still work on Android?

Vadim's apps were revolutionary when they first appeared, I jumped right on board and downloaded his standard app, and later the front vertical base app ... Wootz was certainly a powerhouse in the sharpening world ... I miss his non-stop research into almost anything to do with knife sharpening!

Off now to check out the generic equivalents, no choice really!

cbwx34

Quote from: Roger M. on February 01, 2023, 03:47:54 AMWhatever came along with iOS 16.2 (20C65) has unfortunately rendered both of the Knifegrinder apps unusable on iPhone, as they try to execute a forced update, and of course the apps are no longer in the app store.

I don't know what the Android situation is currently? ... perhaps the apps still work on Android?

Vadim's apps were revolutionary when they first appeared, I jumped right on board and downloaded his standard app, and later the front vertical base app ... Wootz was certainly a powerhouse in the sharpening world ... I miss his non-stop research into almost anything to do with knife sharpening!

Off now to check out the generic equivalents, no choice really!

I don't think the iOS update did anything... mine have continued to work thru the current 16.3 update, and I would be surprised if Apple "forced" an update on an app no longer in the store.  You will most likely lose the apps if you do a restore from backup, or upgrade to a new phone, since apps are no longer stored in a backup.

I checked the Google Play Store, and noticed that the FVB app was no longer was there (at least I couldn't find it), so I suspect the others may eventually disappear also.  (Both Apple and Google said last year that they would purge "abandoned" apps that met certain criteria.)

Although you probably already know, available options can be found HERE
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Roger M.

The iOS upgrade did indeed cause a forced upgrade to all apps on my iPhone, including the two Knifegrinder apps.
"Forced upgrades" render the app currently on an iPhone unable to boot up, and as the app is no longer in the app store, it is also unable to upgrade.
No backup, upgrade to a new phone, or anything else beyond a simple iOS update.

I'm keeping them on my phone for now, as perhaps the next iOS update will cause them to return to functionality? ... who knows?

Your link is invaluable, and I've already moved on to trying a couple of the offerings on your site. Thanks very much for that!

**EDIT** - cbwx34 kindly identified my issue, which was that I had "Offload Unused Apps" turned to the "ON" position on my iPhone. So if you use Knifegrinders apps (or any other app that you like, but that has been removed from the App Store ... turn that to the "OFF" position!