News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Taking the Plunge Into Paper Wheels

Started by RickKrung, October 11, 2019, 07:48:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Excellent post, Rick. I also noticed CB's clever suggestion of mounting felt (or paper) wheels on an extension. My Tormek fund is currently depleted by a strop from KG, however, I hope to purchase a 10" Rock Hard felt wheel after Duro Felt returns Feb 20. I want to try both mounting it on the extension and substituting it for the grinding wheel. Incidentally, with the water trough removed, the ten inch felt or paper wheel will also work with the T4 or T2.

Ken

pipen

Quote from: RickKrung on January 19, 2020, 05:51:59 PM
I am by no means an expert with paper wheels.  The diamond pastes I used on them was based on recommendations from Knife Grinders, Wootz, here on this forum.  I did try the wheels out, but if I recall correctly, didn't really like them because the wheels were not particularly true so there was a bit of vibration.  Again, IIRC, Wootz said something like "good, that helps with the honing". 

However, very shortly thereafter, I mounted a 10" rock hard felt wheel on my my T8 and used 1 micron diamond paste on it.  The first stage of honing was using my SJ wheel, which Wootz says is equivalent to the 5 micron paste on the paper wheel.

So now I am not using the paper wheels at all, instead I'm doing all my honing on the T8, with the SJ wheel first and the felt wheel on the grindstone side.  I like this combination a lot better than the much faster, albeit, medium speed paper wheels on the Rikon grinder.  However, if I did not have the SJ wheel, I would be using that combination, 5 micron then 0.5/0.25 micron or 1 micron on the paper wheels. 

A further development, which I have not pursued yet, but very much want to is an idea that CBWX35 came up with, shared over on the Tormek Facebook site, to use the extension shaft from the Profile Honing Wheels kit (LA-120) to mount the felt wheel in place of the leather honing wheel.  This seems like a great way to use the combination of SJ/1 micron felt wheels that would reduce the wheel changes on the grindstone side. 

Rick

Thank you. Any info is welcome. Bought my CBM from wootz but dont want to mail him about stuff all the time. Guy is probably bussy and dont want to bother him.

Edwe

Is there someone in Sweden or EU that know were to buy a machine and wheels.

pipen

Quote from: Edwe on January 20, 2020, 07:59:53 PM
Is there someone in Sweden or EU that know were to buy a machine and wheels.

Machine:
https://www.hbm-machines.com/producten/polijsten/polijstmachines/hbm-200-profi-polijstmachine
Currenty working on how to limit rpm on it. Frequency converter does not work on single phase.
Wheels:
https://brisa.fi/sharpeners/paper-sharpening-wheels/paper-wheel-slotted-10.html

Edwe

RickKrung

A very quick look at the "resellers" list on the Tormek web site shows over 30 for Sweden, at least as far as I can tell, since I don't read Swedish.   :o

Paper wheels are another matter and I am not going to take my time to search for them in Sweden. 
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

kwakster

I bought my first set of Paper Wheels in Germany from Armin Dobstetter, owner of Custom Leather: http://customleather.ellvis.de/index.php?go=detail&ID=1001

My last 4 uncoated Wheels i bought in England from knifemaker Pieter Annandale, owner of Ratel Knives: http://uktechnics.com/ratelknives/razorsharp.html

Both have proven to be solid & dependable dealers.

Edwe

Yes Rick
I meant machines for papper wheels

Quote from: RickKrung on January 20, 2020, 09:48:01 PM
A very quick look at the "resellers" list on the Tormek web site shows over 30 for Sweden, at least as far as I can tell, since I don't read Swedish.   :o

Paper wheels are another matter and I am not going to take my time to search for them in Sweden.

RickKrung

Quote from: Edwe on January 21, 2020, 04:54:25 PM
Yes Rick
I meant machines for papper wheels

Ah, yes.  Very sorry, I misinterpreted your message.  I don't know the availability in the EU, but I bought a "low speed" 8" Rikon grinder and put the paper wheels on it. 

Have you noted that some of us are using these, but more specifically felt wheels on Tormek? 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Edwe

Thanx Rick, I have to do some research on that because slow motors seems real hard to get and if, they are expensive around here

Quote from: RickKrung on January 21, 2020, 05:02:05 PM
Have you noted that some of us are using these, but more specifically felt wheels on Tormek? 

Rick