News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Single Bevel Japanese Knife Sharpening

Started by oliver, January 15, 2020, 03:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oliver

Hi. This is my first post to this forum and I am new to the Tormek. I just purchased a T8 along with the Japanese wetstone and the Tormek 1200 grit diamond wheel. I am not in any way a knife professional(other than being a surgeon), but I do have dozens of different types of knives including at least a dozen high end Japanese traditional knives. I do hunt, fish, and cook, so these knives are being used, and do need sharpening. My original intent was to use the Tormek for all the knives, but I am now having doubts that I should move to it, from the standard wetstone, for my single bevel knives. I have seen some videos describing the process, including one very detailed video in which the person is using a laser bevel measuring device and a computer to calculate the height of the tool rest etc. My concern is this. From what I have been taught, the single bevel knives need to be sharpened all the way from the Shinogi line to the cutting edge, followed of course, by flattening the entire backside of the knife. If it is not done this way, then the distance from the shinogi to the blade edge will diminish with time, and compromise the knife. The videos I have seen using the Tormek only sharpen the blade edge and the backside edge. Also, if I were to try and lay the whole edge from the shinogi to the cutting edge on the round stone, it would eventually result in a front side hollow ground edge - again not correct for this type of blade. I know that there are may experts out there and I would love to hear some opinions!! By the way, I love the T8 for standard, double bevel blades!!

John_B

Welcome to the forum. I have one single edge Japanese knife that was returned to the box after I used it and it is still razor sharp. I'm left handed and it did not work well for me.

Do a quick search for single bevel and you will see previous posts.

I am interested in you impressions of the Japanese and diamond stones.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Dakotapix

Hello Oliver — There is a fairly current thread on single bevel knives in the first topic called "bevels." I was among those who posted questions about sharpening single bevel knives on the Tormek. In my case I've decided to continue my sharpening on water stones for those knives. I have four Kamikoto knives. I sure welcome further discussion on the subject though.

Hannsi1957