News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek 2000

Started by dhansmeyer64@gmail.com, October 07, 2019, 01:02:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ega

Ken
Amen to all your comments! One of the pleasing things about our machine is the sense that it came from one individual's inspiration; perhaps the updated, online, handbook could touch on its origins.
I forgot to say that if there is a (UK) member who has the non-stainless shaft and wishes to upgrade but does not need the EzyLock multiple wheel capability, then they would be welcome to my shop-made item for the cost of the postage. PM me if interested.

Ken S

Ega,

I agree. I find the history and development of the Tormek fascinating. When Tormek was redesigning the website, I suggested including more Tormek history. The new website has an expanded section dating the addition of jigs and accessories.

I learned a lot about how the Tormek works when I changed my stainless shaft to EZYlock in my first T7. I like your idea of giving your non EZYlock stainless shaft to another member. I did the same after my conversion. Reuse is the best kind of recycling.

Ken

dhansmeyer64@gmail.com

David,

The DE-250 is an excellent choice for the final sharpening stages. Do not add pressure if it seems slow cutting; diamond wheels are designed to cut with low pressure.

You may eventually wish to supplement your 1200 grit wheel with a coarser grit for initial sharpening. I like the DC-250 360 grit wheel for initial work.

Enjoy your new wheel!

Keep posting.

Ken

Ken,

I installed the 1200 grit diamond wheel today and tried it out on a chisel and a cheap pair of scissors. It worked very well but slower than I expected. I guess I will have to replace the the broken wheel with the same kind.  I have an older one but it is probably 7 to 8 inches in diameter.
The wheel I glued together is holding up well and sharpens well on the half not affected by the chip that is missing. I guess I will have to go searching for the missing piece. I could almost buy a used machine for the cost of a new wheel.
The bottom line is I just can not afford to buy another grinding wheel so I will use the old one I have since it is not completely worn out.
Thank you for all your advice and comments. I enjoy reading them.
David

Ken S

David,

My favorite car was a 1970 VW camper. It did not have much power. It was great fun to drive and always got me where I was going. Your DE-250 1200 grit diamond wheel will get you where you are going, albeit not very quickly. Enjoy the ride and save a little money until you can comfortably afford another wheel.

Incidentally, I have never seen or read about a Tormek stainless steel shaft rusting.

Enjoy your Tormek and keep posting!

Ken

brianchin10

Quote from: dhansmeyer64@gmail.com on October 09, 2019, 08:02:15 AM
I did successfully glue the wheel back together and it runs well except for the piece that I couldn't find to put back in.

Out of curiosity, what did you glue it with? My grindstone has cracked from freezing I believe. The crack cannot be closed so I'm wondering if I can fill the crack, and if so, with what adhesive. Thanks!

Cheers,
BRIAN