News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek Diamond wheel DC 250 or finer?

Started by bobl, October 02, 2019, 10:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

John_B

For my customers I do 2 things that have resulted in knives that eventually come back in better shape. First I give them a short lesson on knife use, care and when to bring them back along with a printed reminder. Secondly I show them how to use the steel that they all seem to have but have never used. Since I am a relatively low volume sharpener I can take more time with my customer base.

I am seeing far less nicks and really dull knives on my longer term customers. Most admit they tried the steel but quickly forgot to do it.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

bobl

Even, I hope you are right sir. I have just ordered the DC250  - 360 grit. I will keep you and my mate Ken in the loop and let you know how it goes.
As a historic thing, I have always preferred the SB25 to the SG250..
I reckon this DC250 will be an upgrade.
Laters.
Bob the knife grinder.

bobl

that should have read
SB250
not
SB25.
Time to change my keyboard, or maybe my fingers.:]

Ken S

Bob,
No big deal about the "SB-25". I just thought it was part of a British numbering system.   ;)

Please post your thoughts on using your new DC-350.

Ken

bobl

Haha. nice one sir.
Well. I just received and used my DC250. Not bad at all. But, I should have listened to you sir. There is a bit too much of a burr for my liking. However, it will be a good wheel for knives with problems.
I have today ordered the DF250. This, I am now sure, will put an amazing edge on the knives, with it being 1000 grit.
I will update soon.
Cheers.
Bob
The Knife Grinder

Ken S

Bob,

I suspect you(and most of us) will eventually have all three diamond wheels. The DC will always be too coarse for some knives; the DC will always be too fine for others. Have you tried lightening your already light pressure?

Ken

John_B

Quote from: Ken S on November 07, 2019, 07:31:09 PM
Bob,

I suspect you(and most of us) will eventually have all three diamond wheels. The DC will always be too coarse for some knives; the DC will always be too fine for others. Have you tried lightening your already light pressure?

Ken

You may be prophetic Ken. I got a batch of knives from a new customer and they were in the poorest condition one could imagine. They were butter knife dull and looked as though each had been further abused as they all had nicks in the blade. I finally got them sharpened but I wish I had either the coarse diamond wheel or a belt sander. I would also like the finest diamond wheel for finishing knives prior to final honing of the burr.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Ken S

Good point, John. Sadly, I think you are right. We should all insist that our customers all bring their knives in for sharpening at a predetermined level of unsharpness. Until then, different grits will be useful.

Ken

bobl

you know me Ken, cant get enough wheels, Haha. Just received my fine diamond wheel and look forward to my sharpening next week. I will update you when I have had a day on it sir.

bobl

I have been using my new DF wheel for a week now.
Perfect result.
Super fine and sharp edge.
those are the positives.
It takes me twice the time to sharpen than on the SB250 ( best all rounder so far. )
I find there is a lot of water on the bench when using the DF wheel, Can you give me help on this??

Love the DF wheel results but dislike that it takes twice a long, money and time is important to me as a business.
appreciate any comments and help/advice.

Even

Hello.

There are several positive things that you did not mention ;-)
You dont have to true the stone, and you dont get the sludge that occurs from ordinary stones.

That it takes twice as long with DF relative to SB is normal, due to DF is 600 grit and SB is 220 grit.
As I mentioned earlier, SB is the Tormek stone that is the fastest for grinding.

What I've found is the fastest way to grind for me with tormek is:
Starts with CBN 80 grit, then goes to DC-250, then to DE-250, then honing (this gives me razor sharp edges in the 50-60 Bess range. (you could possibly go from CBN80 to DF-250 and honing, but I prefer the added fineness of DE-250).

This is a bit faster than just using the SB-250. Although I have to change wheels several times, I prefer it instead of grading the SB-250 to fine and rough.

Regarding the water spill you are experiencing, this is normal, especially when using ACC.
I've dropped the ACC and only run clean water, this spills less.
So after I finish the grinding for the day I run all the wheels with ACC while using a toothbrush to clean the stones. (tormek does not recommend this, but I have done it for 8 months without seeing any hint of rust).

Even

bobl

thanks Even, I definitely prefer the DF wheel, even though it takes longer. I so much prefer the edge it gives along with my customers.
Ref my own knives I experimented with, they are still amazingly sharp and holding the edge really well.
Cheers.
Bob The Knife Grinder
bobl