News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek Diamond wheel DC 250 or finer?

Started by bobl, October 02, 2019, 10:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobl

Hi again. its been a while.
Can you please advise me on the best abrasive on the DC-250 wheel or finer for chefs knives.?
This is also to include some very old knives that will need re-edged????
Bob.

Ken S

Welcome back, Bob. I trust your sharpening business has been going well.

Deciding which diamond wheel to start with can be tricky. Tormek equips the T2 specialized for restaurant staff model with the DWF-200, the 200mm equivalent of the DF-250 600 grit wheel. I believe that the DWC-200 (360 grit wheel) was added at the request of a major customer. I don't know if Tormek originally planned to offer two grits or if the original plan was for a simplified, single wheel.

I like all of the diamond wheels. I like the way they all cut. The grit numbers cannot be directly compared with the SG grit. I have found that the DC 360 grit cuts substantially more than the SG 220 grit, even when used properly with light grinding pressure.

If the majority of your kitchen knives just need to be sharpened, I would start with the DF 600 grit. Your knives which require extra work will require extra time. You can either live with the extra time or invest in a DC wheel. The alternative would be to start with the DC 360 grit wheel for the heavier work and probably use your SG for the lighter sharpening.

Your call.

Glad you are back.

Ken

John_B

Ken, have you tried the DE-250 as a final step after the SG-250 and prior to honing?
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

bobl

Hi Ken. Nice to touch base again with you and the forum.
I already have the T2 with the DWF- 200 wheel. I find that too fine for most knives. What would you recommend for the T7 on a slightly courser grade on the diamond wheel.?
For knife sharpening.
Bob.

Ken S

Good question, John. I have spent most of my limited shop time using the DC-250. I delayed replying hoping other members might chime in.

The DC-250 is decidedly more efficient with removing M2 High Speed Steel than the SG. I am just starting to have more success with the SB, so I will defer to others on that.

I noticed smaller scratches with the DF and especially the DE.

Most of my effort has been looking for a more efficient coarse wheel for the Tormek. The two Tormek diamond coarse wheels, the DC-250 and DWC-200 are the first efficient Tormek coarse wheels that I have found.

Ken

Even

Hello.
I have all the diamond wheels for Tormek.
I use the DC-250 mostly for sharpening of knife, but have to finish with the DE-250.
This is because the DC-250 leaves a strong burr.

I don't think the DC-250 removes metal fast, The SB-250 removes metal faster I think.

I recently bought the CBN-80 from Knife Grinders, to use when I need and remove a lot of metal. Example re profiling. I haven't used this wheel much, but I've impressed so far.

Even

Ken S

Even,

I am glad you posted.

My first SB quickly glazed. I kept it because I know several sharpeners I respect who like it. I recently acquired a second, new SB. This wheel cuts better. I like the initial results, but have not used it enough to comment. My DWC-200 and DC-250 definitely cut faster than the SG. Neither is a speed demon, however, they have given me Tormek control at a speed which, while not fast, is not frustrating.

I would expect your KG 80 grit CBN wheel to cut even faster. Even after the initial breaking in period, my 80 grit D-Way CBN wheel performs very well.

I think, in general, we are expecting a lot of versatility from a single wheel. While the SG may not perform as well as more specialized wheels, it was the all purpose wheel for many years.

You do not mention the DF (600 grit) wheel. What are your experiences with it?

We have a lot to learn about grinding wheels.

Keep posting.

Ken

bobl

still confused as to which diamond wheel to use for knife sharpening on the T7 Ken.
Help.

bobl

I think I am going to try the DC 250, as the T2 carries the same grit as the DF 250 - is that right Ken??

Ken S

Quote from: bobl on October 05, 2019, 07:32:49 PM
I think I am going to try the DC 250, as the T2 carries the same grit as the DF 250 - is that right Ken??

Bob,
Yes, the DWC-200 and DC-250 both are 360 grit. I have found that either of them cut faster than the SG-250. Some say the SB cuts faster than the SG. I don't have enough experience with the SB to say one way or the other. The DC and DWC are the only Tormek diamond wheels coarser than the DF (or DWF).
Since you live in the UK, I suggest you contact the Tormek agent, Axminster, and see if there is a way you could try a DC wheel. I assume there are Tormek demonstrations in the UK. If not, see if you could purchase a DC with a return plivelage.
Keep us posted.
Ken

bobl

Even

Hi Ken.
Yes you are right in that the SB-250 can glaze up fast at times. This was annoying until I found a solution to it.

As you say, SG and SB are the most universal grinding wheels for normal use.

If you grind professionally and in large volume, the diamond wheels come into the picture in my opinion.
Then you dont need spending time truing the wheels and they stay at the same diameter all the time.

I use DF at least of all the tormek wheels.
This is because most customer knives require a bit of grinding and are then much more effective to start with DC and end with DE then honing..
I could have done the whole process with just DF and finished with honing, but this takes longer to change wheels.

Should I have chosen just one diamond wheel then it has become DC.
I used this for a long time with SG who was graded to fine.
Then use a program like that from KnifeGrinders to get the correct angle with different wheel diameters.

Even

Ken S

bobl

so, for chefs knives, should I get the DC 250   ----   OR    ----  DF250 ???

Even

If you only gonna have one, it depend on the use.
You say kitchen knives, are they your own or are they customer knives?

If it is for personal use only then I recommend the DF-250 or just stick to the SG.

But if you sharpen customer knives then I would rather have chosen the DC-250, these customer knives usually need more metal removal, as they are often very dull and have damage to the edge.

Even