News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

The one change you should make to the Tormek...

Started by cbwx34, December 04, 2017, 10:15:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbwx34

Nice update kwakster... I'm pretty sure your 1st version is what made me think of using the T-2 jig.  I liked it.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

kwakster

The home made platform as i currently use it.

On top is a piece of 0.3 mm thin fiber reinforced PTFE tape, which aids very well in moving the blade across the platform and also to avoid scratches while doing that (up to a point)
When used in conjunction with just enough water in the trough so that it doesn't splash the platform the tape lasts quite a while before i have to replace it with another piece.
At the moment the lowest angle i can grind to is ~22.5 degrees inclusive, but in the end i want to be able to go ~20 degrees inclusive.
I've already sharpened quite a few knives with this taped platform.

Ken S

Nice set up, Kwakster. In my opinion, Herman's homemade small continues to be a major advance for Tormek sharpening. However, just as I do not believe that Fords are the only horseless carriages of note, I do not believe that Herman's design is the only good choice. I happen to see great potential in using parts of the T2 knife jig as used by CB. It offers a very compact design while still retaining the all important (patented by Tormek) Torlock for very secure holding power.

Based only on my gut feeling, I would gravitate toward Herman's design for larger work, like his now famous machete. I would favor Kwakster's design for smaller work, although I know either can handle the entire job.

Ken

ps For our European members, I realize that Gottlieb Daimler and Karl Benz each independently built an automobile before Henry Ford. As an American, I must cling to our myths.