News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

An alternate jig setting knife block

Started by Ken S, September 19, 2019, 04:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I have no criticism of Wootz´jig setting knife block. However, I wonder why it needs to be adjustable. I realize that I work differently than most of us. I have standardized my Projection at 139mm. (I have noticed that Wootz often uses 140mm in his videos. The one millimeter difference is negligable.)

With 139mm Projection, I can sharpen paring, slicing and chef´s knives, which covers my needs. I should add that the 139mm works with paring knives only if I use the SVM 00 small blade tool. This would not be necessary of the thread length on the knife jig was longer. As an expedient, I have added 125mm Projection with paring knives and just the SVM 45 jig.

I see the benefit of using the large stop block to insure the edge is parallel. For me, the setting block would be just as useful and simpler with a top block fixed (glued or screwed) at 140mm. I could handle the 125mm Projection by making the block double ended, with 125mm at the other end.

Having the block fixed eliminates the chance of error from multiple measurements. The position of the fixed block could be placed using the digital caliper, a more precise tool than the rule.

Having the Projection fixed would also eliminate the need for individual calculation of the FVB setting.

I want to be clear. I think Wootz´applet is a useful tool. I use it and recommend it. I feel it is even more useful if many of the variables can be standardized-

Ken

RichColvin

I too use a fixed block at 139mm.  Works well for me.

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

RickKrung

I as well have standardized on 139mm projection.  I've not come across a need to deviate yet.  But, I am not doing volume sharpening either.  For what volume work I have done, the 139mm worked fine for all of it. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Jan

I have also standardized my Projection at 139 mm suggested by Ken.

Jan

Dutchman

I still use the projection as the variable and the USB setting as a possible parameter for wide blades.
With my tables of course.  8)

Ken S

Dutchman,

Your point is well made. Part of the beauty of your tables is that the individual has the choice of using either the Projection or the (usb) Distance as the deciding variable and switching at will.

For the newer members who may not yet be familiar with Dutchman's work, his Grinding Angles booklet, first posted on the forum in 2013, was the spark which has ignited all of the controlled bevel setting innovations. I have his booklet in ibooks on my ipad and a print out on my end table three feet from my chair. Any Tormek knife sharpener who has not downloaded or printed it is missing a primary resource.

Ken

John_B

I use 140mm for my length on most knives. I also will use a block and ruler at different settings if the knife warrants it. It is a lot faster when nothing needs to be changed.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Fernando

I have also standardized my 139 mm projection suggested by Ken.

and I created my dual-kenjig and use it more than the angle meter

At some point I will take some pictures to make it known. I think everyone takes these ideas, and makes adjustments to suit their convenience

Ken S

Good thoughts, John and Fernando.

We are not limited to one or the other, to fixed OR variable. Nor are we limited to just one fixed length. As an example, imagine we have one hundred knives to sharpen. While I believe most kitchen knives fall into the fixed setting category, I can imagine that some might not. We want both the speed of the fixed set up and the flexibility of the variable set up. Part of the designed efficiency of kenjig type set up tools is to allow returning to the fixed settings without the need of further calculations or measurement. This easy return allows us to capitalize on the individual precise adjustments for a non fixed knife without giving up the efficiency of the fixed system.

Fernando, I like your idea of the double ended block. It reminds me of the janjig. Jan started with the single Distance slot and added a second slot. The second slot allows him to use one tool to set the distance for both the grinding wheel and the honing wheel.

Angle control systems should give us a reliable, simple starting point. They should be flexible and adaptable to our individual needs and desires. I believe this technology is evolving and will become increasingly useful as more forum members develop and modify it.

Ken

Fernando

Quote from: Ken S on September 21, 2019, 01:41:45 PM
Good thoughts, John and Fernando.

We are not limited to one or the other, to fixed OR variable. Nor are we limited to just one fixed length. As an example, imagine we have one hundred knives to sharpen. While I believe most kitchen knives fall into the fixed setting category, I can imagine that some might not. We want both the speed of the fixed set up and the flexibility of the variable set up. Part of the designed efficiency of kenjig type set up tools is to allow returning to the fixed settings without the need of further calculations or measurement. This easy return allows us to capitalize on the individual precise adjustments for a non fixed knife without giving up the efficiency of the fixed system.

Fernando, I like your idea of the double ended block. It reminds me of the janjig. Jan started with the single Distance slot and added a second slot. The second slot allows him to use one tool to set the distance for both the grinding wheel and the honing wheel.

Angle control systems should give us a reliable, simple starting point. They should be flexible and adaptable to our individual needs and desires. I believe this technology is evolving and will become increasingly useful as more forum members develop and modify it.

Ken

In my case, the dual kenjig is not for use in the stone and leather wheel, use your idea to work at 15 and 20 degrees which are the 2 sharpening angles that are most requested, I usually use the leather wheel Freehand, I don't have 2 USB yet, but I'm managing to buy a second USB

Ken S

Fernando, I am please to see that you realize the kenjig concept is very adaptable to individual needs.
¡Bien hecho! (Well done!)
I work with both the T8 and T4. It just so happens that my 15° T4 kenjig also works as a 20º jig for the T8.

Ken

Josu V

I have read Ken´s idea whith very much attention.

I have one Wootz´s setting knife blok for two reasons: make more quickly in the positioning of the knives and, (most important for me) make that the blade stay parallel to the grinding wheel.
At this point, I think is very interesting one Setting Knife Block with one fixed position in order to reduce calculations and, of course, time and possibility of errors.

I can see that most of the people use 139 or 140mm as standard block position. I have my own "Grinding Notebook" where I take note of each of sharpening. Viewing the notebook I´m in doubt about the convenience of the 140mm as standard block position.

Most knives require more than 140mm distance and I think that the adjustable part of the SVM-45 is to short to adjust this distances.
I other pages of my Grinding Notebook, appears distances of the smallest knives like a paring knives and some small folding knives, and those measures are around 120 or 125mm

Really I like this idea, but I have a lot of doubts in order to make a fixes block.

Abusus non tollit usum

Ken S

Josu,

When I returned from the mountaintop, I was carrying a stone tablet engraved "139 mm".

Just kidding.... There is nothing sacred about 139mm. It just happens to work for me. If another number or numbers works for you, by all means use what works for you. The number is not magic. The magic is what happens when you understand the relationship between Distance and Projection.

Keep on pursuing your own sharpening path. Keep us posted!

Ken

Josu V

Amen, so be it!   ;D ;D

I understand. Only, I found it curious, that most of you work well with 130, 140mm. I thought I was the weird...
But no. My customers are the weirds...   :D

Regards
Abusus non tollit usum