News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Manual touch up of chisels between sharpening and angle issues

Started by Chris B, September 15, 2019, 11:23:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris B

Guys, there's some really useful information in this thread and Mike I really appreciate your detailed description of your sharpening method. So I'm going to try the Tormek only method and Mike's method and compare the two. I figure I'm going to get a sharp edge with both but the paper cut test will be the decider.

I really don't know how good my chisels are either. They are very old. I bought most of them second hand about 40 years ago. They could well be 100 years old! They are Sheffield steel mostly I think with good quality wooden handles. So I presume they will be OK? Or do newer (quality) chisels use better steel these days?

RichColvin

Chris,

The better steels and steel treatments in newer chisels only increase the time before you need to resharpen.  There are some who believe the older high carbon steel gets sharper.  That's a debate for others.  I believe you gotta dance with the one you're with.

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Chris B

Quote from: RichColvin on September 17, 2019, 03:27:17 PM
Chris,

The better steels and steel treatments in newer chisels only increase the time before you need to resharpen.  There are some who believe the older high carbon steel gets sharper.  That's a debate for others.  I believe you gotta dance with the one you're with.

Kind regards,
Rich

Thanks Rich. I've been studying your Sharpening Handbook. What a great resource! There's so much knowledge captured there. It seems sharpening is a nice combination of science and craftsmanship  :)

RichColvin

Chris,

Thanks for the kind words. 

If you see something that needs correcting, or better clarification, please do let me know.

As a wise podcast says, "none of us is as smart as all of us."

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

Quote from: RichColvin on September 17, 2019, 04:42:59 AM
Quote from: Ken S on September 16, 2019, 04:56:39 AM
Rich,

The traditional two point hollow grind technique predates the Tormek. In my opinion, it was more useful with the typical six inch dry grinders of the day than with the large diameter Tormek wheel. The secondary micro bevel lessened the hand sharpening labor. I don't see the advantage when the work is done by the Tormek machine.

My opinion......

Ken

Not my preference.  Just wanted to note that it is relatively common with high end furniture makers, even when they sharpen on the Tormek.

Rich,

Rich, you are correct. I respect those high end furniture makers and have studied their methods. In fact, I used to sharpen that way.

I also think their think goes back to their dry grinding days. Old habits can be difficult to change.

Ken