News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

New to forum

Started by Azsteve, September 17, 2019, 10:33:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Azsteve

Hi Tormek people,

I am excited to get my new T8. I ordered it a couple of days ago. I am a home hobbyist.  I've wanted a Tormek for years but could not justify the expense. I have finally got tired of spending hours sharpening. I realized I was wasting a lot of woodworking  time just sharpening tools. I'm looking forward to learning from you veterans.

My first question is about truing the side of the SG-250 stone with the SP-650 stone grader. Is this recommended?  I want to make sure my chisels are flat on the back. If not, are there any recommendations?
Thanks,
Azsteve
(Steve)

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Steve. I have a busy morning ahead of me, however, I look forward to sharing chisel back thoughts with you soon.

Ken

RichColvin

Quote from: Azsteve on September 17, 2019, 10:33:39 AM
Hi Tormek people,

I am excited to get my new T8. I ordered it a couple of days ago. I am a home hobbyist.  I've wanted a Tormek for years but could not justify the expense. I have finally got tired of spending hours sharpening. I realized I was wasting a lot of woodworking  time just sharpening tools. I'm looking forward to learning from you veterans.

My first question is about truing the side of the SG-250 stone with the SP-650 stone grader. Is this recommended?  I want to make sure my chisels are flat on the back. If not, are there any recommendations?
Thanks,
Azsteve
(Steve)

Steve,

The Tormek only seems expensive.  But, it is less expensive in the end as it gives you more life on your tools due to its removal of less metal.  So you made a wise investment.

As for truing the sides of the grindstone, you cannot.  But it doesn't matter as you hold the chisel's back against the side of the grindstone by hand.  No support is needed.  Page 122 of the Tormek manual shows this (an excerpt of the manual as shown below). 

You may need to periodically grade the side (using the SP-650 stone grader https://www.tormek.com/usa/en/accessories/other-accessories/sp-650-stone-grader/ ).  But that is pretty rare.

Good luck,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

John_B

Welcome to the forum Steve. There is a wealth of information on woodworking tools in threads already and the combined knowledge of the other members always astounds me. Don't neglect your kitchen knives; they are fun to sharpen on the Tormek.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease