News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Replacement of knob

Started by Sharpco, September 01, 2019, 07:40:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharpco

Support and knob are interfering. Is there any solution?

smurfs

I faced this same issue when I first attempted to use the USB to hone a knife on the leather wheel, which I guess is why much of the literature I have read suggests that knife honing on the Tormek leather wheel is done freehand.

I stand to be corrected but the only way around this issue is to mount the USB in a Front Vertical Base so the SVM-45 knife jig will not snag on the support bar pillars.

Sharpco

Quote from: smurfs on September 01, 2019, 09:55:57 AM
I faced this same issue when I first attempted to use the USB to hone a knife on the leather wheel, which I guess is why much of the literature I have read suggests that knife honing on the Tormek leather wheel is done freehand.

I stand to be corrected but the only way around this issue is to mount the USB in a Front Vertical Base so the SVM-45 knife jig will not snag on the support bar pillars.

I'm not skillful at freeehand honing. And I already have FVB but I'm looking for honing method not using FVB.

smurfs

Ok, I guess the best way to achieve this is to switch the SVM-45 knife jig thumb screw with a M6-sized grub screw which you can tighten up flush with an hex key. I took one from a 12mm collar I had lying around (see pic)

Edit: meant to point out that you can see that I tried to use my SVM-45 at a fairly acute angle :)

Sharpco

Quote from: smurfs on September 01, 2019, 02:44:50 PM
Ok, I guess the best way to achieve this is to switch the SVM-45 knife jig thumb screw with a M6-sized grub screw which you can tighten up flush with an hex key. I took one from a 12mm collar I had lying around (see pic)

Edit: meant to point out that you can see that I tried to use my SVM-45 at a fairly acute angle :)

M6 grub screw! Good idea! Thanks :)

Ken S

Sharpco,
Another workable solution is the 7190 knob screw from the SE-77 jig. Here is a page showing it:

https://advanced-machinery.myshopify.com/pages/se-77-parts-diagram

I tried fitting it on my SVM-45. It fits well and does not extend beyond the jig.

Ken

Sharpco

Quote from: Ken S on September 01, 2019, 03:55:20 PM
Sharpco,
Another workable solution is the 7190 knob screw from the SE-77 jig. Here is a page showing it:

https://advanced-machinery.myshopify.com/pages/se-77-parts-diagram

I tried fitting it on my SVM-45. It fits well and does not extend beyond the jig.

Ken

Ken.
That's a good idea too.

smurfs

Sharpco, I think Ken's suggestion of a smaller thumb screw provides a better solution as you don't need to fiddle around with a hex key. I have a selection of lower profile thumb screws I recently bought from China and I have checked and these work also.

I'm pleased to be able to hone using the USB in the horizontal position should the need arises again, so thank you for raising the question as it made me revisit the issue.

Sharpco

Quote from: smurfs on September 02, 2019, 07:03:00 AM
Sharpco, I think Ken's suggestion of a smaller thumb screw provides a better solution as you don't need to fiddle around with a hex key. I have a selection of lower profile thumb screws I recently bought from China and I have checked and these work also.

I'm pleased to be able to hone using the USB in the horizontal position should the need arises again, so thank you for raising the question as it made me revisit the issue.

I think Ken's solution is not enough. When honing at high angle, it'll still cause problem.

Fernando

I use 2 jigss simultaneously, so when the first one gets clogged I can move on to the second jig that holds the knife

Ken S

Sharpco, I am unclear about your last post. Would you please quantify "a high angle" in degrees. Also, would you please post a comparable photo of the smaller knob rubbing? I would like to understand.

Another option which I have used is a standard M6 thread hex bolt. I ground the hex head thinner with my Viel. (I did this as part of an unsuccessful attempt to make a Torlock platform into a small platform by reversing it. The thin bolt looks like it might work for other applications.)

Fernando,

I think your word "destroyed" lost something in translation. Would you rewrite your post, por favor. No lo entiendo. (I don't understand it.)

Ken

Sharpco

Quote from: Ken S on September 13, 2019, 08:12:13 PM
Sharpco, I am unclear about your last post. Would you please quantify "a high angle" in degrees. Also, would you please post a comparable photo of the smaller knob rubbing? I would like to understand.

Another option which I have used is a standard M6 thread hex bolt. I ground the hex head thinner with my Viel. (I did this as part of an unsuccessful attempt to make a Torlock platform into a small platform by reversing it. The thin bolt looks like it might work for other applications.)

It's hard to tell you exact angle. But when honing narrow blade e.g.paring knife at high angle, problem is occurred. I think grub screw is the best solution :)

Ken S

I think Smurfs has a good idea. I keep the box my spare US-105 came in full of misc. parts from various Tormek related experiments. Grub screws are inexpensive. I will put one on my next trip to the hardware store list. If I ever need it, I will have one in the parts box.

Ken

Fernando

Quote from: Ken S on September 13, 2019, 08:12:13 PM
Fernando,

I think your word "destroyed" lost something in translation. Would you rewrite your post, por favor. No lo entiendo. (I don't understand it.)

Ken

Thank you for mentioning it
was updated

van

Maybe it will be off topic, but which sharpening angle do you use? to have this kind of problem.
Kindly yours