News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Best methods and wheel for sharpening bowl gouges

Started by blackhawk, July 28, 2019, 03:25:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

In my opinion, this video is the best Tormek has ever produced:

https://www.tormek.com/international/en/accessories/other-accessories/tnt-300-woodturners-instruction-box/

It is well worth the cost. I think it should be a staple in every Tormek woodturner's library. That stated, I believe Tormek marketing would like to replace it. It shows Jeff Farris, a former team member (and founder/past moderator of this forum) using a SuperGrind Tormek. No doubt marketing would prefer to show a T8 being used by a current associate or Tormek Friend.

I would like to see it updated, but for other reasons. When it was made, the SG-250 was the only Tormek wheel. A turning instruction video from Tormek is incomplete without an in depth discussion of all six grinding wheels. The era of carbon steel turning tools has passed. The era of M2 turning tools is passing. We need current information. Less pressing, but still important, is that the DVD uses the older jig designs. Please do not misunderstand me. The information in the DVD is very solid. In addition to being a Tormek expert, Jeff is also a very experienced turner and demonstrator. The DVD just needs to be updated to reflect the last twenty years of Tormek innovation.

Ken

LFendrick

My Supergrind 2000 grinding stone needs to be replaced. I think the original was 9" or 10" in diameter. What stone should I replace it with?

AKMike

If you are only sharpening high speed steel turning gouges and tools, then the SB250 would serve you well. If you sharpen other tools and knives and only want to buy one stone, you are better off with a new SG250. The SB250 clogs with softer steels.

Mike

Ken S

Quote from: AKMike on March 27, 2020, 01:37:51 AM
If you are only sharpening high speed steel turning gouges and tools, then the SB250 would serve you well. If you sharpen other tools and knives and only want to buy one stone, you are better off with a new SG250. The SB250 clogs with softer steels.

Mike

Excellent advice, Mike.

Ken

RichColvin

Quote from: AKMike on March 27, 2020, 01:37:51 AM

Mike

... or, get both!
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

AKMike

As long as we are spending other people's money, a set of the diamond wheels would be in order.

Mike

Twisted Trees

Quote from: AKMike on March 29, 2020, 08:35:49 PM
As long as we are spending other people's money, a set of the diamond wheels would be in order.

Mike

Well if it is other peoples money, and space, then a fresh T8 for each wheel would give the best comparison  8)

RichColvin

Quote from: Twisted Trees on March 29, 2020, 10:11:35 PM
Quote from: AKMike on March 29, 2020, 08:35:49 PM

Mike

Well if it is other peoples money, and space, then a fresh T8 for each wheel would give the best comparison  8)

Now that's just getting crazy ...
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

I suspect that Tormek Marketing would like that idea!

Ken