News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

a visit with the parts man

Started by Ken S, July 24, 2019, 11:53:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Forum member, Garrett McDaniel, sent me a pm requesting how to purchase parts for his knife jig. I referred him to Wolfgang Derke at Advanced Machinery, the major North American Tormek parts dealer. Although I have never met Wolfgang personally, I have been a satisfied Advanced customer for eight years.

Garrett lives close to Newark, Delaware, where Advanced is located. I suggested that he drive there in person, combining a practical errand with an enjoyable Tormek day. The attached photo is a happy souvenir of that visit. Wolfgang is on the left; Garrett is on the right.

Ken

ps A special thank you to my resident tech expert, Grepper, for helping me post the photo. Once again, Grepper has made the impossible possible.

RichColvin

I've found working with Wolfgang to be quite pleasing.  He's got great customer service and I always receive my parts faster than i expected.
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

GeoTech

Yes, Wolfgang and Advanced are super to deal with.

RickKrung

I don't know how many employees Advanced has, but the one I have dealt with (in addition to the owner, Wolfgang), Tracy, has been wonderful.  Very helpful, knowledgeable and even remembered me.  Advanced is where I got the adjustable collar locking screws for replacing the O-rings. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ken S

Some guys like to customize their cars or trucks. I have no interest in this, although I do like to customize my Tormeks. I appreciate being able to get my parts from Advanced.
My T4 now has the steel EZYlock nut and quick release for the leather honing wheel.
I use several one inch thick grinding wheels, so I ordered four extra spacer washers. The Tormek washers are nicely machined and are made of stainless steel.
I ordered two extra stone hooks for my Tormek Work Station. It now holds four wheels, a more workable number when I added the diamond wheels.
I ordered a spare microadjust to use as a lock nut. That idea did not work out as hoped, however, it was nice to have access to a good parts dealer.

Advanced also took good care of me when my first T7 was stolen. Many of the included components were not stolen. Through Advanced, I was able to order just the components I needed.

Ken