News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Stand for Tormek of a dirt bike stand - thanks Alan!

Started by wootz, July 24, 2019, 10:18:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wootz

I was adding an extra Tormek to our workshop, and as we sharpen seated was looking around for a sturdy stand.
Alan from Illinois shared him using a dirt bike stand with me just on time.
By Alan's feedback, I picked a "MX Motocross Dirt Bike Motorbike Static Stand - BLUE" - "blue" of course to match the Tormek colour. Made of moulded plastic, has rubber anti-slip top.
Australian Dollars $60 delivered, in the USA should cost a handful of peanuts.
The top is a good match to the Tormek base in size, and the stand height is 43 cm - right on for my height of 170 cm.

This is an Australian eBay link: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-MX-Motocross-Dirt-Bike-Motorbike-Motorcycle-Static-Stand-BLUE/131857146226?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

wootz

The devil is in the detail.
Alan first tried that frame type stand as in Gary's link, and told me that in his opinion the 4-leg type would probably be better for the workshop flat floor. He was pointing at some solid steel 4-leg stand. I went for 4-leg, but plastic.

I am not a bike person, and we are lucky to have so many friends with varying interests - Alan spotted the dirt bike stand that has the right sized top and height, and allows for splitting legs on its sides comfortably.

Ken S

Clever ideas, both of you.

I have decided that an up to date Tormeker should move to Australia. I should learn the language, first.  :)

Ken

RickKrung

I have had a similar stool for quite a while.  It is 46cm high. 

Got it in 1972 from pipe fitters at a nuclear power plant on the Hudson River, in New York state, just up river from the city.  It followed me all the way across the country in 1973 when I moved to California.  I've used it as my Tormek stand, but now it holds up my spindle sander as I've moved my sharpening kit to a plastic folding table (a result of the farmers market work). 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Gary@QSS

It looks like that stand has some travel time on it ;)

Gary
Gary

Ken S

Rick,
Your stand feels real, an increasingly rare virtue in today's plastic world. Don't change it!
Ken

RickKrung

It is quite "venerable".  I don't actually know how old it was when I got it and I've had it for 47 years.  I just have to protect it from being "inherited" by my daughter when she and my granddaughter move out my place next month  ;)

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ken S

Rick,

Watch your stand closely. I doubt any of your family truly share the deep appreciation you have for it.

I have a shop table of the same vintage. The top is from a discarded child's table left in an apartment I rented in 1972. The original legs were missing. I put together legs from scrap 2x4 pieces. Over the years it acquired many holes in the top from various machines. It is still rigid and now serves as a high stand for a Tormek. I doubt anyone else has any appreciation for it. It serves me well.

Ken

Sweetbeet

Here is my stand, I wanted to be able to use it standing or sitting, foot adjustment to get it right where I want.  I did have a issue with the jack not wanting to raise, they said if that happens, open release valve and then pump the jack up very fast with valve open for abut 15 pumps, close the valve try agin, and it will work perfect! Also I am to be able to move it using the wheels. Besides it's blue! Got it on amazon $130. 

Hogdog6

That is a very interesting stand. Can you supply the amazon link for it?

RickKrung

WOW!  That is way more than an interesting stand.  I have to have one.  Please do provide a link.  If you aren't fast enough, I might find it first ::)   ...   

Ooops!  Too late.  Found what I think is it. Price is a bit higher, but it looks the same to me. 

https://www.amazon.com/DURHAND-Hydraulic-Small-Motorcycles-Bikes/dp/B07MXFZYMX/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1OUX9AA524F26&keywords=scissor+lift+table&qid=1581399121&sprefix=scissors+lift+s%2Caps%2C247&sr=8-5

That stand has so many possibilities.  My good machinist friend, Brett, has a scissors table like that.  Goes way down to about a foot in height and up to regular table height and it can lift hundreds of pounds.  I saw some lift tables much like his when looking for the above stand. 

I could so use that for so many things.  Lately, I've been moving a 1943 Delta table top drill press, multiple times, as I worked on a hefty ladder for my granddaughter and it has been killing my back. Strained my back lifting the ladder and now anytime I try to lift anything, I aggravate it.  Ladder is all 2x Douglas fir lumber, stringers are 2x10s. 

I wouldn't want to actually move the drill press very far, due to it being top heavy to begin with and the scissors stand would only exacerbate that.  But, it would seriously help getting it from one height to another for those moves.  Ladder is done, so that won't be the need in the future, but that stand would come in so handy. 

Rick

Elden

Rick,
What is the model number of your bench top drill press? Is the spindle Morse taper #2? What is your floor drill press in the background?

I am using an imported bench model that has a Jacobs Taper #2 1/2. I need to replace the chuck, which is no longer made apparently. A JT #6 specs are very close to that of the #2 1/2 but is minutely different according to the specs I have found. I am thinking that an older drill press in good condition would probably be a good way to go.

*** Edited to correct the taper of my spindle from Morse to Jacobs.
Elden

RickKrung

Quote from: Elden on February 11, 2020, 02:49:21 PM
Rick,
What is the model number of your bench top drill press? Is the spindle Morse taper #2? What is your floor drill press in the background?

I am using an imported bench model that has a Morse #2 1/2. I need to replace the chuck, which is no longer made apparently. A Morse #6 specs are very close to that of the #2 1/2 but is minutely different according to the specs I have found. I am thinking that an older drill press in good condition would probably be a good way to go.

Elden,

Spindle/chuck taper on the bench top is 33B Jacobs.  It is 34-33 Jacobs on the floor DP.  Bench DP is from 1943, floor DP is from 1954.  There is a number stamped on a plate on the side of the bench DP "14-2181", which I take to be the model number.  I cannot get at the floor DP to see the model number right now.  Casting number is DP220, by which they are often referred. 

Edit:
You are correct that the Morse Jacobs tapers you mention are not compatible.  JT 2 1/2 is 2.838º, JT 6 is 2.979º.  The JT 6 chuck would wobble and not stay put.

Spindles are removable, so you may be able to replace yours, although, imported, parts may be a lot more difficult to find than the Delta DPs.  You can also have a new spindle made, although that could be cost prohibitive.  I've had the spindle out on the floor DP, replaced the bearings.  I need to do that with the bench DP, but it sat, unused, with a bad motor for 10-15yrs until a month ago, when I finally put on the replacement motor that I'd had for 6yrs. 

I'm not familiar with male Morse tapers, only female - on the machines.  Certainly familiar with tooling that fit these tapers.  Is yours a female Morse taper in the spindle?  If so, there should be a male taper on to which the chuck would fit.  Here is a link discussing these, which might be helpful. http://www.beautifuliron.com/mttaper.htm    If nothing is available, having this type of adapter would a lot less expensive that the whole spindle.  One question you should have an answer for, is, are you happy with your DP?  Enough to put more money in to it?

Old American iron machines in general are often very excellent machines. I've steered friends and forum members this way for metal and wood working machines.  Often they require some rebuilding, which can dissuade some potential buyers.  They are typically quite good values and relatively inexpensive compared to new machines. 

An excellent source of information on older wood and metal working machines is Old Wood Working Machines. http://owwm.org  They are my go to site for asking/sharing on older machines.  Their rules state that Asian imports topics are not allowed and that others must be at least 20yrs old or no longer in production to be discussed. 

I have discussed several machines there, including the 1943 and 1954 Delta drill presses, 1960 Powermatic 140 bandsaw, a Delta Unisaw table saw, and my 1941 Rivett 1020 metal lathe.  The fully restored Rivett 1020 was featured in the 2014 OWWM Calendar, March, which was an incredible honor as the calendar is for outstanding "wood" working machine restorations and it is a metal working machine. 

If you are in the USA, Craigslist is a good online advertising source.  I find it a bit constraining, though, as it enforces very local listings/searches only.  You can specify any locale, but you have to know where you want to look.  Kansas, USA is too generic.  There are nine regional locales for CL.  https://geo.craigslist.org/iso/us/ks  I think there are a number of others, also, but I don't keep up, as I'm not buying much these days. 

I could assist you with looking for something.  PM me if interested. 

Rick

Edit: revised response about Morse tapers to Jacobs, based on Elden's edit.

Image posted also, showing difference. 

Georgie

I'd been looking for a stool and had a nifty little email exchange with Wootz about different stools last week. He directed me to this thread and gave me dimensions for wooden ones in the email as well. Now this thread gets an update with new leads and suggestions...My T8 arrives today from Advanced Machinery and with the Amazon lead I should have the workstation up and running by the end of the week...I swear, if you just keep an eye on the forums "All Will Be Revealed"!