News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Svm 45 self locking

Started by troflog, July 16, 2019, 11:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troflog

Hello
How do the svm45 self lock?

RickKrung

I think you may need to provide more information to get any meaningful responses.  I have no clue what you mean by "self lock". 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Sharpco

Jan

Quote from: troflog on July 16, 2019, 11:24:28 PM
Hello
How do the svm45 self lock?

Trond, in the earlier knife jig design there was a locking screw for fixing the adjustable stop against rotation around the jig shaft. In the current knife jig design a rubber O-ring is placed between the shaft and the adjustable stop. The words "self-locking" are a bit of an overstatement.  ;)

Jan

RickKrung

Quote from: Jan on July 17, 2019, 09:25:29 AM
...snip...
The words "self-locking" are a bit of an overstatement.  ;)

Jan

Ah, the collar.  I will go so far as to say it isn't locking at all.  I found there to be too much "non-locked" that I replaced the O-rings with the locking screw/knob.  No more movement.  I ordered replacement screws from Advanced. 

I had heard the O-ring replaced the locking knob/screw because users were over-tightening it and stripping the threads in the plastic collar.  With a lighter/knowing "touch" it is easy to avoid stripping the threads.  Also, if I were to strip threads, it is easy to drill and tap another hole.  But that has not been necessary and I have six knife jigs, four -45s and two -140s. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ken S

Rick,

Like you, I have multiple Tormek knife jigs. In my case only five at this point (2-45s;1-100, the predecessor of the 140; 1-140; and 1-00 small blade holder, plus two small platforms similar to Herman's).

I use them differently than you do. I designed a technique using a single kenjig where I can switch from paring to slicing or chef knives without any setup changes using the different jigs.

If I had your machinist skill, I would probably design and machine my own knife jigs. You and I have the advantage over the Tormek engineers; we do not have to design products to sell to X thousand customers to meet payroll. You and I, as well as several other forum members, just have to satisfy a few very opinionated, picky customers, ourselves.

I think some of the newer Tormek jigs and accessories are really stellar. The new 186 gouge jig and TNT-100 setting tool are, in my opinion, Tormek's most advanced combination and truly world class.
I find the DBS-22 drill bit jig a versatile marvel. The SE-77 is the cat's meow for grinding controlled camber with plane blades. The Tormek Rubber Work Mat gets my vote for the outstanding accessory for everyday use.

While I give these products gold stars, I would rate the knife jigs only bronze. Switching to machined zinc with the 45 was a minor improvement. I am neutral about switching from the locking screw to the O ring. Based only on nine years' observation as a Tormek user, I would not be surprised if Tormek was working on a new design for the knife jigs.

I do not envy the Tormek engineers this task. We want the jigs to be self centering. We want them to lock securely. We want them to be designed not to scratch knives. And, oh yes, we want them to be "reasonably priced" and quite precise. I suspect meeting a price point is probably the main constraint.
This would be compounded by much smaller market demand for a knife jig priced at $200 US than for the present jig priced at $40 and included with the Bushcraft T4.

I believe we may eventually see a gold rated knife jig from Tormek. In the meantime, some of our members, like you, have been doing remarkable innovative adaptions.

Ken