News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Rare Tormek-4000 with FVB

Started by wootz, July 04, 2019, 05:00:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wootz

Photos of the rare knife sharpening machine Tormek-4000 by happy owner Harry from Norway.
Harry has also attached our Frontal Vertical Base to give himself more flexibility in honing on the leather wheel.
Today I finally have time to program software  for his Tormek-4000 for setting grinding and honing angle.

The Tormek-4000 distribution was limited to Europe and... there was one machine in Australia that I missed :(

rowarn

Hello Mate,
I know where the 4000 is in Australia. It sits in my workshop in Ipswich.
Thought you might like to know.

Kind Regards,
Rowarn

Ken S

Fascinating!!!! Thanks for posting.

This particular T4000 reminds me of my uncle's 1927 Ford. It was originally the family car. He converted it from crank start to electric start. In the photos I note the upgrade to the AWT -250 Advanced Water Trough, nice idea for longer knives. I am not sure, is the XB-100 Horizontal Base for the Universal Support a later upgrade? Was the original US-400 universal support threaded for the microadjust? If these two were not original, they are certainly useful upgrades.

While not original or really essential, The RM-533 Rubber Mat is a luxurious work surface.

Because of the skill needed to use it well and the cost, I can see why Tormek made the practical choice to introduce the wider user market T2 instead of the T4000. For the fortunate few who have a T4000, enjoy, you are using a rare luxury Tormek!

Ken

BV5105

Must have been more than one T4000 in Australia. I bought mine at Just Tools in South Melbourne sometime around 2005 when I lived in Melbourne. It now lives in NZ with me.

Hugh

Ken S

The rubber composite honing wheel on the T2 is tapered rather than flat. I suspect that is to allow honing longer knives without removing the grinding wheel, and thus allowing a smaller machine. I would be curious to know if the Tormek engineers were also thinking of the T2 when they designed the T4.

Ken