News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

The O-ring of knife jig

Started by Sharpco, June 24, 2019, 05:31:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharpco

The O-ring of knife jig is broken. I think it's because 'dry'.

So I applied synthetic grease to it then wiped it.

Ken S

Sharpco,

I suggest you contact Tormek support (support.tormek.se). You may be able to receive a warranty replacement part. Here is a link with the part number:

https://advanced-machinery.myshopify.com/products/3560-o-ring

O-rings are common plumbing parts. You may be able to find a matching replacement part at a local hardware or plumbing supply store. (Bring your broken ring and knife jig with you.) If you find a match, I would suggest buying at least two. The gasoline to drive to the store will probably cost more than the O-ring.

Ken

Sharpco

Quote from: Ken S on June 24, 2019, 11:07:59 AM
Sharpco,

I suggest you contact Tormek support (support.tormek.se). You may be able to receive a warranty replacement part. Here is a link with the part number:

https://advanced-machinery.myshopify.com/products/3560-o-ring

O-rings are common plumbing parts. You may be able to find a matching replacement part at a local hardware or plumbing supply store. (Bring your broken ring and knife jig with you.) If you find a match, I would suggest buying at least two. The gasoline to drive to the store will probably cost more than the O-ring.

Ken

Thanks Ken. I wonder if I'm the only person who's had problems with O-ring.

Ken S

Sharpco,
I don't recall any other posts with broken O-rings. Please contact support and post.
Ken

RichColvin

Since I've started using the pin pivot jig, I don't leave the black handle on the knife jig.  Thusly, it doesn't matter.

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

Rich,

I understand your attachment to the pin pivot jig, however, for the minimal amount of cost and time involved in restoring the knife jig to full duty, I would be inclined to replace the O-ring.

Ken

Sharpco

Quote from: Ken S on June 24, 2019, 05:31:00 PM
Sharpco,
I don't recall any other posts with broken O-rings. Please contact support and post.
Ken

They said they'll send spare O-ring to me. :)

Ken S

Sharpco,
Thank you for your last post. I expected a satisfactory outcome. I have no affiliation with support; I base my opinion of support on past experiences. Sharing our experiences helps steer newer members on the right path.

Ken

Sam Sloane

I also just lost an O Ring.......but I ought my T8 2+ years ago!

Sharpco, if you find the size on the package of the O rings you recieve.....I would like to know!

Thank you,

Sam

Ken S

Sam,
I would contact support. (support@tormek.se). Chances are that they may pop a replacement in the mail for you. If not, I can't imagine them not at least telling you the size for a replacement.  :)
Ken

RichColvin

If Tormek support can't help, McMaster Carr sells o rings.  https://www.mcmaster.com/o-rings

McMaster Carr may be US-only.  SharpCo, don't know if they can send to you.  May be other suppliers though.

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

Rich,
O-rings are standard faucet parts. Your local hardware store should carry a selection of different sizes.
Ken

Sam Sloane

Guys,

Mcmaster Carr has Everything.....and ships to me.

BUT...my O ring was obliterated....so I cant even measure the size!

I am going to guess its Metric....so M12 x 1.5......( ID x ring mat Dia)

I will find out.

Drilon

The size of the O-ring is ID 8,4 mm x 2,5 mm. This is the dimension I measured.