News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

new online class/ eshaping turning tools with Tormek jigs and a bench grinder

Started by Ken S, February 21, 2024, 12:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

9:30 AM (eastern time US) Wed feb 21

https://www.youtube.com/live/YOM931z3YPM?si=OY1CR3OCtlMB32Xs

Reshaping woodturning tools on a bench grinder
In this episode of the Tormek sharpening classes we explain how you can quickly and with full control, re-profile your turning tools on your bench grinder. The BGM-100 Bench Grinder Mounting Kit allows you to use the same jig settings as on your water-cooled Tormek sharpening system. It is therefore easy to do the rough shaping on the bench grinder and then continue to sharpen and maintain the edge of your Tormek machine.

Check in with us live today to see how to install and use the BGM-100 Bench Grinder Mounting Kit , and ask your questions to our experts. See you in a bit!
When?
TODAY Wednesday, February 21, 3.30 sharp!😉
(3.30 PM, Swedish time, CET / 9.30 AM, US Eastern Time, ET)
Watch live!

Ken

RickKrung

Guess I missed the live showing, having just logged in at 7:30 PST.  I asked this in a comment, but it is much too soon for an answer.  Going to ask it here as well, hoping that someone here can shed some light. 

"I use the BGM-100, with and FVB on a Rikon slow speed grinder for roughing drill bits prior to finishing on a T8.  My question is about height of the USB on which the DBS platform is mounted.  The BGM by itself would orient the DBS quite low, relative to the grinder centerline, very different from that on the T8.  Does this matter?  Or is that all taken care of by the DBS angle setting template? 

In watching, I see where you do not recommend use of the DBS with the BGM and bench grinder.  Some sort of damage.  Could you please clarify.  I have not had any problems.  I do see where the setup is not as rigid as on the T8, but that can be accommodated."

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ken S

Rick,
You should sent your question to support (support@tormek.se).

One question I have is about the choice of grinding wheels. This seems like a good use for CBN wheels. Diamond and CBN wheels run cooler than conventional wheels. I mention CBN because they are available in 80 grit. As a general rule, coarser wheels run cooler than conventional wheels.

On the plus side for diamond wheels, they are built on steel frames. There are some CBN wheels with steel frames.

Ken

RickKrung

Quote from: Ken S on March 20, 2024, 05:42:06 PMRick,
You should sent your question to support (support@tormek.se).

One question I have is about the choice of grinding wheels. This seems like a good use for CBN wheels. Diamond and CBN wheels run cooler than conventional wheels. I mention CBN because they are available in 80 grit. As a general rule, coarser wheels run cooler than conventional wheels.

On the plus side for diamond wheels, they are built on steel frames. There are some CBN wheels with steel frames.

Ken

Tormek replied, but I cannot find it right now. Their reason for not using the DBS-22 on a bench grinder was a risk of "catching" on the wheel. Through using it on my Rikon low speed grinder with an 8" CBN wheel, I've not had any issues with catching, so, to me, that is not an issue. 

I have, however, discontinued use of the DBS on a bench grinder and will not use it on my Viel belt grinder either.  The problem is the grinding grit that gets into the sliding surfaces of the DBS.  There are two, one between the fixed platform and sliding plate, the other between the drill bit clamp and the sliding plate.  Zinc does not hold up well to it and while I did not see damage to the plastic runners, I'm sure it would happen with time. 

Haven't yet, but I think making a drill specific platform, I believe like Jan's, is the way to go for roughing drill bits on the 80 grit CBN on the bench grinder. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ken S

Rick,

I agree with you that the platform designed by Jan is the way to go when roughing drill bits with CBN and a dry grinder. Drill bits frequently get very hard use and infrequent sharpening. "Resharpening" them is often really reshaping, especially with larger sizes.

Did you have success using the (eight inch diameter) 46 or 80 grit Norton 3X wheels (wet) or the (ten inch diameter) 46 grit wheel (also used wet) with the DBS-22? Granted, they are not as fast as a high speed dry grinder; however they do not produce loose grinding dust to ruin your jig.

Ken

RickKrung

Quote from: Ken S on March 22, 2024, 05:08:22 PMRick,
...snip...
Did you have success using the (eight inch diameter) 46 or 80 grit Norton 3X wheels (wet) or the (ten inch diameter) 46 grit wheel (also used wet) with the DBS-22? Granted, they are not as fast as a high speed dry grinder; however they do not produce loose grinding dust to ruin your jig.

Ken

Yes, I did have success with those grinding wheels, and I have you to thank for it.  You may recall, that I later shifted to the same sort of "traditional" grinding wheel, but at 10" diameter. I frequently mention these, both here but more often on the FB group about these wheels as very cheap but very effective options for those seeking faster metal removal for all manner of work on the Tormeks, so much so that some may regard me as a broken record. 

Rick