News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

small kitchen knife

Started by dusmif, June 26, 2019, 11:45:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dusmif

Trying  to sharpen a small kitchen knife, ( for training purpose ) overall lenght 180mm, blade is 85mm by 15mm, it keeps kicking back, with a jig and even free hand, angle was 15 deg.Blade marked stainless steel !!
The jig is home made, made on Jan model. knife was clamped on the handle like the SVM-00.
What is the indication of such a behavior, I am sure I am doing something wrong, or lack of experience?
Thanks
Alf.

Jan

Alf, I assume that you are grinding in the edge leading regime. Please check whether your stone is not clogged. If it is clogged, remove the chips attached to the stone face by grading it raw and then fine with the Tormek stone grader. Use sufficient pressure.

Jan   

Josu V

Remember to check the planimetry and correct it (if necessary) with Tormek TT-50 Truing Tool.
When the planimetry are bad, is very difficult to maintain the knife in the exact angle. It moves constantly and tends to go back and to the sides.

Regards
Abusus non tollit usum

Ken S

Alf,

When I first started sharpening knives, I had trouble with the Tormek knife jig jumping. With practice, the jumping died down. I have not used your jig, however, I think things will improve as you log more knife sharpening time.

Ken

Antz

Alf,

My first couple knives I did I had a similar problem. Another forum member Rich, advised me to just keep practicing until you develop the muscle memory. Try slow steady passes. Check out either knife grinders or sharpco YouTube videos and see how they do slow controlled passes. In time you will develop the muscle memory and the kickback issue will be a thing of the past.

Antz
"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ."
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭15:57‬ ‭