News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

protective paper in the knife jigs

Started by Ken S, September 17, 2017, 11:56:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I noticed Wootz using a protective liner paper in his knife jig. (photo in a very long topic) This seems a clever, inexpensive way to eliminate the posdibility of scratching a polished knife finish.

Comments, Wootz?

Ken

wootz

Cloth tape, Ken.

At earlier times I just polished the inner side of the zinc clamps to make sure no scratches are left on blades - Tormek knife jig out of the box (right) compared to ours:

BUT later I had a hunch to use the cloth tape to bring the blade spine thickness to that ideal 2.5mm of the knife jig - I just put as many layers as needed, and always get symmetric bevels of even height on both sides of the blade. No clumsy shims anymore.

cbwx34

Protecting knives sometimes comes up with clamp style sharpeners... other ideas that have worked:  blue painter's tape, pieces of a chamois, moleskin, foam (weatherstrip) tape, thin strips of rubber (like that found for opening jars).  (I'm sure there's more I can't think of right now). :)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Wootz,

I think your cloth tape is both practical and a powerful sales tool. As a telephone installer/repair tech, I always dressed as a traditional phone man, with high lineman boots. I wore a very loose pair of two buckle overboots over the boots. I would wait until the customer came to the door before removing them and leaving them on the porch. Quite a few customers commented about this caring gesture.

If I was one of your customers, I would appreciate the care you show by protecting the knives. Good PR and practical, too.

Good wprk!

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

Wootz, what sort of cloth tape?  Ever fold it back over itself to get your needed thickness yet?
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

wootz

After a few tries, I found the Norton Bear 50mm Cloth Tape to serve the purpose, both protective and adjusting.
The knife jig clasping depth is ~ 13mm, so i tear off a band of approx 30mm wide, and measure the spine thickness with tightly pressed calipers after adding each layer.

Having finished sharpening and removed the tape, I use a low odour turpentine to clean the blade of the tape sticky traces, if any.

Sharpco

Quote from: wootz on September 19, 2017, 10:19:28 PM
After a few tries, I found the Norton Bear 50mm Cloth Tape to serve the purpose, both protective and adjusting.
The knife jig clasping depth is ~ 13mm, so i tear off a band of approx 30mm wide, and measure the spine thickness with tightly pressed calipers after adding each layer.

Having finished sharpening and removed the tape, I use a low odour turpentine to clean the blade of the tape sticky traces, if any.

I searched it in amazon.com but I couldn't find it. I think Norton bear cloth tape is sold only in Australia.

Antz

Sharpco,

I did some research and I believe the bear cloth tape is just a brand name version of cloth backed "duct tape". That leads me to believe that any cloth backed tape would serve the same purpose. As Wootz stated just add layers and check with your calipers until you get the thickness you want. Serves a double purpose as a protective layer and a shim.

Antz

PS: during my research I found some 3M brand "nuclear duct tape" at 97$ US a roll  :-[
I just thought that was ridiculous. How many of us need to tape up our own nuclear power plant lol
"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ."
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭15:57‬ ‭

Ken S

It is becoming increasingly obvious to me that the "lingua franca" of a well versed Tormek sharpener is Australian.  ;)

Ken

"lingua franca"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lingua_franca

Sharpco

Quote from: Antz on June 24, 2019, 09:07:11 AM
Sharpco,

I did some research and I believe the bear cloth tape is just a brand name version of cloth backed "duct tape". That leads me to believe that any cloth backed tape would serve the same purpose. As Wootz stated just add layers and check with your calipers until you get the thickness you want. Serves a double purpose as a protective layer and a shim.

Antz

PS: during my research I found some 3M brand "nuclear duct tape" at 97$ US a roll  :-[
I just thought that was ridiculous. How many of us need to tape up our own nuclear power plant lol

I use Duck Brand general purpose tape. Yes, it's good enough. :)

Al

I use both the Norton Bear and also duck tape
To protect the handles I have a 100mm (4") roll of shrink wrap packaging plastic
The shrink wrap and handle applicator was around $8 NZ Works well as if you stretch it while wrapping its tight on the knife

Sharpco

Quote from: Al on June 25, 2019, 08:28:36 PM
I use both the Norton Bear and also duck tape
To protect the handles I have a 100mm (4") roll of shrink wrap packaging plastic
The shrink wrap and handle applicator was around $8 NZ Works well as if you stretch it while wrapping its tight on the knife

I agree. I also use the stretch film to protect handle :)