News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Leather wheel care

Started by Antz, June 12, 2019, 10:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antz

Hi everyone,

Question about leather wheel care. Where I store my t-8 is in an industrial steel warehouse. There's no ac and during the day it's probably a constant mid 90 degree dry heat if not hotter. Will this dry out my leather wheel fairly quickly? And if so should I be stripping the compound and oiling the leather more frequently than most users?

Thanks,
Antz
"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ."
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭15:57‬ ‭

Twisted Trees

I wouldn't leave my bike jacket in that dry heat for too long... would certainly not hurt to add an extra oil change for the wheels to keep the leather from drying out

Ken S

Antz,
The locking knob for your leather honing is now called "Locking Knob for Honing Wheel". When it was first introduced :) AS AN OPTIONAL ACCESSORY in the early SuperGrind days, it was called the "Quick Change". The standard nut to secure the leather honng wheel was a standard 12mm hex nut, like is standard on the T4 today. Tormek introduced a rubber deburring wheel with abrasive in the rubber. The quickchange was introduced for quick changes.

The quick change also allows rapid removal and reinstallation of the leather honing wheel. I have a spare which I store in a gallon zip lock bag. It would be quite easy to remove the leather honing wheel when you are finished, zip it in the bag, and store it in your house, presumably a more temperate climate. The rubber drive wheel is secured with a separate nut. Be sure the pins rest in the sockets.

Or, you could just air condition the warehouse....:)

Perhaps other members have warmer storage experience. I would suggest also contacting support.

Ken

Michael Zeidler

My problem is to figure out how to purchase more Tormek leather honing wheel oil. I could not find it in product listings with Tormek accessories. The thin oil sold the local hardware stores is not aceptable substitute. The Tormek leather honing wheel oil is a white oil, i.e. a pharmaceutical oil. It is used in cosmetic compounds. It is probably a product of Exxon Mobile which employes chemistry in the product design. It is an excellent choice for softening the surface of the leather. This allows the honing compound to be evenly dispersed on the surface. Where can the leather honing oil be purchased online?

Elden

https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=98.msg275#msg275

Caution: It is possible to use too much oil. It normally is done initially on a new wheel. The Tormek honing compound contains oil.
Elden

John_B

I would go with Ken's suggestion. If you are using it very frequently and adding compound occasionally I doubt you will have an issue. Long term non use and storage in hot and dry conditions is the enemy of any leather.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Fernando

Quote from: Michael Zeidler on July 30, 2019, 01:34:28 PM
My problem is to figure out how to purchase more Tormek leather honing wheel oil. I could not find it in product listings with Tormek accessories. The thin oil sold the local hardware stores is not aceptable substitute. The Tormek leather honing wheel oil is a white oil, i.e. a pharmaceutical oil. It is used in cosmetic compounds. It is probably a product of Exxon Mobile which employes chemistry in the product design. It is an excellent choice for softening the surface of the leather. This allows the honing compound to be evenly dispersed on the surface. Where can the leather honing oil be purchased online?

The used oil is USP grade mineral oil, the same tormek oil container indicates it, it is a very economical oil you can get it in pharmacies, or in companies that sell chemicals, aromatic essences and that type of inputs, for 1 or 2 dollars.

RickKrung

As has been said, it is only applied initially, to condition the leather before the honing compound goes on.  I depleted my tube of oil and have never applied any more in two years.  Why do you need more? 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Michael Zeidler

The purpose of this note is to acknowledge the help from Forum members in identifying and obtaining a mineral oil for the leather honing wheel. I was uncertain about the oil used to soften the surface of the leather honing wheel. Identifying it as a mineral oil clarified everything. The terms white oil and pharmaceutical oil appear to be used in special marketplaces for ordinary mineral oil. I was able to obtain a small quantity of mineral oil from a distributor. So the honing problem of microscopic scratches is now solved. The wood chisels are razor-sharp without tiny curls at the edge. And they cut wood fiber precisely. The T8 with the Japanese Waterstone is working as promised. Thank you!