News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Probable new 400 bar T-universal run

Started by van, May 09, 2019, 04:45:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

van

Having the need for a universal long T-bar (US400) today I wrote to Tormek:

"Good morning,
as a Tormek user I follow the various forums and also the FB pages.
  Many users including myself who use your product (T4-T7-T8) for sharpening long knives need a longer universal T-shaped support (US-400). Don't you think it is your duty to put a small supply of this type of support back into production? It costs nothing to you in terms of design and construction, having marketed it in the past.
I believe you would be happy with many users, giving excellent customer service.
Confident in your positive attitude, I send my best regards."

This was the prompt reply:

"Hello Venanzio,
We will consider to make a limited edition according to your suggestions. Where do you normally purchase your Tormek products?
Best Regards Hakan"

We remain in hopeful expectation
Kindly yours

Ken S

Well done, Van!

Incidentally, Hakan Persson is the CEO of Tormek. Your request has reached the right person.
Do keep us posted.

Ken

ps I have two US-400s, and like them. My only suggestion for them would be to add a couple inches of height. (for sharpening vegetable cleavers)

van

Also this made.
Request to modify (lengthen) the feet.
We hope well. ;)
Kindly yours

John_B

I will get one if they do another production run. I would also like the additional length and height if they do a run.
Last time they were available I procrastinated.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Ken S

John,
The existing version has longer length (400 mm), but no extra height. Extra height would be useful. When this came up on the forum years ago, Jeff Farris expressed concern that the extra height might cause the Tormek to tip over. This is not a problem. (I have used a third party support bar which is taller. It works very well.) The US-400 is a useful accessory as is; added height would make it more useful.

Ken

Josu V

Quote from: Ken S on May 10, 2019, 04:07:41 PM
John,
The existing version has longer length (400 mm), but no extra height. Extra height would be useful. When this came up on the forum years ago, Jeff Farris expressed concern that the extra height might cause the Tormek to tip over. This is not a problem. (I have used a third party support bar which is taller. It works very well.) The US-400 is a useful accessory as is; added height would make it more useful.

Ken

Absolutelly agree. Extra length is very important in order to use with Knifes longer than 30cm, but extra height would allow us to sharpen cleavers and other big knifes.
I think too that Tormek T7/T8 are heavy enough.

It would be good news that Tormek to put a new universal support on sale.

Regards

Abusus non tollit usum

Ken S

In addition to the benefits of extra length, the US-400 serves very well as a useful second support bar at very little cost over the standard support bar. Hopefully Tormek will reissue them, ideally with more height. If they are reissued, those who are interested should not procrastinate.

Ken

Sweitzy

That's great news!  Does anyone know when they would be released and how to get one? I'm assuming with a limited run that they would not be available at all dealers.

van

My request, at Tormek, was at an international level, I was assured that they will take my needs into account and keep me informed. I believe it would be appropriate to highlight this possible production at the individual local distributors. If I have further news, I will advise the forum.

with regard
Kindly yours

Ken S

GREAT NEWS!!!

I received the following reply from Håkan Persson (Tormek CEO) this morning:

Thanks Ken,
We will make a batch with 50mm longer legs. It will takes a couple of months before it reaches USA.
Take care /Hakan

This is sensational. Not only is Tormek acting on our request for another batch of the US-400; they are modifying them as we requested. We will finally be able to sharpen cleavers using a Tormek universal support bar and the knife jig. Updates will be posted.

Thank you, Håkan!

Ken

John_B

Ken, do you have any idea on what suppliers in the US may be getting these? Rough cost estimate?
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

van

Well Ken,
see every so often something "moves" ..... let's wait
Kindly yours

Elden

That is good news, Ken. As it has been stated, I imagine the US-400's will sell out fairly quickly unless a pretty good sized batch are made.
Elden

Ken S

John,
I have no idea which US dealers will carry the new US-400. I sent Håkan an email inquiring if the US-400 designation will remain the same or be changed. I will post his answer when I receive it. Steve Bottorff (sharpeningmadeeasy.com) was the dealer who handled the first batch of twenty.I purchased my second unit through Advanced Machinery. (advmachinery.com). I am quite comfortable dealing with either of these very reputable dealers, based on long experience. Incidentally, Advanced is an excellent source for parts. Most of my Tormek project spare parts have been purchased through Advanced.

Van,
The US-400 seems to move in spurts. The first batch of twenty through Steve was delayed for quite a while. I heard several different explanations. The most probable was that fifty units were misplaced in a warehouse in Sweden. It has proven to be a good tool, and worth the wait. This new revised batch should be even better.

Elden,
I agree. I believe, depending on the size of the batch, that these should sell quickly. This process could be speeded up if Tormek features them in a new video. A more in depth knife video from Tormek is long overdue.

I want to credit Vadim ("Wootz" from Knife Grinders in Australia) for introducing the US-400 to the forum. Vadim found one for sale in Italy and had it shipped to Australia. I call that intrepid!

I would like to add a personal note explaining why sharpening my Chinese vegetable cleaver is so important to me. It was a wedding present from my best man who was also my best friend for thirty years. We enjoyed photography and camping trips together for thirty years before he passed away. It is important to me to keep his cleaver sharpened the most precise way, with the Tormek knife jig.

Ken

Josu V

I suppose that New US-400 will be comercialited in Europe too...
Any case, I will be waiting for the news about it in the forum.

Thank you for the good new :)
Abusus non tollit usum