News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Possible small production run of Adjustable Offset SVM-45

Started by MPeppard, April 16, 2019, 03:16:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickKrung

I'm sorry there hasn't been any word on this.  The short of it is that production costs were too high to make it feasible.  Interest was about 40% of the quantity that had the lowest per unit quote price.  Neither Mike or I have the kind of cash to front for it and have hanging out there, even if the return were more attractive.  So, for the foreseeable future, the project is dead. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Fluehue

Quote from: RickKrung on March 20, 2020, 04:32:25 AM
I'm sorry there hasn't been any word on this.  The short of it is that production costs were too high to make it feasible.  Interest was about 40% of the quantity that had the lowest per unit quote price.  Neither Mike or I have the kind of cash to front for it and have hanging out there, even if the return were more attractive.  So, for the foreseeable future, the project is dead. 

Rick

Hi Rick,

Plese send me some info on this, I might be able to fund this, but I need some more info on price and totalt funds needed.
I love the idea and I think it's sad that it wont be made just because of the lack of funds :)

Best Regards
Jon

van

Quote from: Fluehue on March 21, 2020, 09:01:28 AM
Quote from: RickKrung on March 20, 2020, 04:32:25 AM

Rick

Hi Rick
Plese send me some info on this, I might be able to fund this, but I need some more info on price and totalt funds needed.
I love the idea and I think it's sad that it wont be made just because of the lack of funds :)

Best Regards
Jon
Good evening,
any significant NEWS?
Kindly yours

Scotty

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in this world. Marines don't have that problem."
President Ronald Regan

RickKrung

There have been no further developments.  Until something does happen, this matter is closed. 

Sorry,

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Scotty

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in this world. Marines don't have that problem."
President Ronald Regan

Gilles

I like the concept describe here, however I think that the jig centering bushing from JVH (//forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=3918.msg26586#msg26586) do nearly the same thing and is simpler to do. I plan to do one for me soon to try it.

The thing with this eccentric is that it is probably not easy to set up. It needs to be done by successive trials.
I do think that a good solution could be to design a new plastic holder which incorporates the eccentric and an angular graduation (see my drawing).  This could be printed with a 3D printer.  This solution could be very accurate and cheap. I don't have any experience in 3D printing but I am sure it could work. If someone wants to work on it, I would be happy to contribute and to describe more in details my idea.

The shape of the eccentric is already available in my spreadsheet. You can find it there : //forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=4326.0. I could easily add the calculation required to set up accurately the eccentric based on the knife thickness and the knife tapered shape.

Gilles
knowledge is a nice journey made of practice, study & sharing

RickKrung

Quote from: Gilles on May 20, 2020, 08:39:08 PM
...snip... If someone wants to work on it, I would be happy to contribute and to describe more in details my idea.

The shape of the eccentric is already available in my spreadsheet. You can find it there : //forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=4326.0. I could easily add the calculation required to set up accurately the eccentric based on the knife thickness and the knife tapered shape.

Gilles

I suggest you either: 1) start a new post/thread with these offers, or 2) append these offers to the posts/threads related to the eccentric bushing. 

Otherwise, they may get lost here and/or just not seen by enough who may be interested.  Plus, I think it deserves it's own place in the cronology.  This thread is essentially dead.

Rick

van

It could be "the egg of Columbus" excellent idea.
I hope that the most experienced and qualified friends can make their valuable contribution to definitively solve this problem.
Kindly yours

Alston

Apologies for dragging up an old thread. I'm just having trouble working out how the prototype on the first page works? I can see the two parts are joined by a dovetail but how does the bolt either adjust or secure them?