News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Possible small production run of Adjustable Offset SVM-45

Started by MPeppard, April 16, 2019, 03:16:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPeppard

There has been some interest in the modified SVM-45 holder with adjustable offset that I made.

But before I can move forward on getting quotes for CNC'd parts I need to get some feel on the number of people that would be interested in purchasing one.  Unfortunately I haven't any idea of final price so I don't want to throw out any numbers just yet.

If you think you may be interested in purchasing an Adjustable Offset SVM-45 please email me at Mpeppard246@gmail.com

This is just to gauge interest, you are not committing yourself to purchase (final price will be a big factor)

Also I know a lot of people always use the Pin Pivot Collar on their holders so I am thinking of offering the option of not having the shaft threaded for the handle since some don't use the screw on handle-stop anymore.

RickKrung a long time forum member and also the inventor of the Pin Pivot Collar is helping me out big time on getting parts made.  Rick's help should greatly increase the chances moving forward with this due to his previous production experiences.

Hogdog6

van

Kindly yours

RickKrung

Quote from: MPeppard on April 16, 2019, 03:16:59 AM
...snip...
RickKrung a long time forum member and also the inventor of the Pin Pivot Collar is helping me out big time on getting parts made.  Rick's help should greatly increase the chances moving forward with this due to his previous production experiences.

I am excited to be helping Mike with this.  I will be helping with getting the design ready for production and acting as the go-between for Mike and the CNC shop, should it get to that point.  I have used this CNC shop for two runs of a tool that I make for making a part of fly rods and for helping someone else with getting their ideas into production.  If I were to have some Pin Pivot Collars (PPC) made, this is the shop I would use.  They are in very high demand and usually way backed up, but because I am a returning customer, I get a place a little further up the line that simply the latest job to roll in. 

I encourage anyone who may have some interest to contact Mike at the email address he provided above. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ken S

I have already communicated to Mike my desire to be included with the purchasers list. With Rick
and Mike we have quite a team!

Ken

wootz

Michael's and Rick's effort to make the Adjustable Offset Knife Jig available for others is much appreciated and commendable.
Count us in please.

RMoore

Al

I also have emailed my interest and look forward to future development

Ken S

I support this kind of effort, even with the full realization that it may be one of the middle evolutionary steps. I thought the 185 gouge jig was marvelous. It was, however, the much improved 186 model is even better. I would welcome a 187, although I am quite satisfied with the 186.

In my opinion, some of the Tormek jigs outshine the others at this point. New and improved jigs and accessories are added every year. I would place the present Tormek knife jigs in the category of expecting improvements which have not arrived. Good, but with room to grow. We are seeing numerous forum based improvements. That is exciting!

Ken

Sweitzy

Even

GKC

I will definitely want one of these if it makes it to production.  But I am wondering, does this have advantages over self-centring jaws, or has it been designed because no satisfactory design for self-centring jaws has emerged?

Gord

wootz

Quote from: GKC on May 05, 2019, 06:25:33 PM
I will definitely want one of these if it makes it to production.  But I am wondering, does this have advantages over self-centring jaws, or has it been designed because no satisfactory design for self-centring jaws has emerged?

Gord

We see quite many knives produced with the edge slightly off the blade center.
This adjustable offset jig can center them better than a self-centering knife jig, hypothetically at least.
I mean, even if we had a self-centering jig for Tormek, this offset jig would still be of use for grinding some high-end knives to get symmetrical bevels of even height.
However, the right centering is not only about nice bevels, it is the key to better sharpness. For me it is an established fact that when the edge is not centered in the jig we cannot get it the same sharp as when it is centered. I've offered some explanation here >> , but no matter how you explain it, it is for fact.

By accuracy of centering we can range the knife jig solutions as follows, starting from the least accurate:
Tormek stock knife jig
Our set of knife jigs with milled offset
Some self-centering jig
Michael Peppard's adjustable offset jig

Minicin

I would be very interested in one of these jigs also.

Dastagg