News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Question for FVB users

Started by RichColvin, April 15, 2019, 12:52:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichColvin

For those using a front vertical base, I have the following question:  do you always keep it tight against the Tormek machine body, or is it ever projected out from there.  I ask as I wonder how long the shafts need to be which are attached to it. 

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

wootz

Hi Rich,
Please see the picture.
The "preset extended" position of 85 mm works for the majority of veggie and meat cleavers, but not for all cleavers and wide blades - in this case you may need to extend the FVB further or less.

GKC

I have never done a cleaver, so mine is always pretty close to the body of my T8.  (N.B. For my FVB I used 12mm X 200mm SS bolts (with threads only at the end) and cut off the heads.  They are plenty long, longer than I can imagine ever needing them.)

RickKrung

Wootz,

Could you also please provide the measurement of the thickness of the base on which the Tormek base is attached?  For those of us who make their own FVB, this would give us a reference surface we can use to compare our FVB with yours. 

Thanks.

For the record, I have also never done anything that required moving the FVB out from the case, but the length of the shafts is there on mine for when I do need it extended further. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Scott an Edge

G'Day Rich,
I have never found a need to move my FVB from the fully seated position. In fact, I don't remove it at all, it stays 'welded' to my T-8. Definitely the best accessory I have for the machine.

That said I have found that the shafts can contact the case preventing the support bar from being lowered to the required (calculated) height - generally when sharpening smaller knives with a short projection length using a very small dps.

That said, it is very easily fixed by increasing the projection length slightly and recalculating.

Not an issue, just a trick of the trade  ;)

Cheers Scott

Ken S

One of the things I like about the FVB is that it combines the repeatable accuracy of the kenjig with the flexibility inherent in Wootz' technique. As such, should a minor recalculation become necessary in order for the arms to clear the housing, adjusting for the thickness of a spacer is a one time fix. Just like the kenjig, once the FVB is calibrated, with a consistent wheel diameter and bevel angle, there is no need to recalibrate. Should either variable become necessary to be changed, returning to the original setting should be simple and require no further math.

The Tormek has always been the premier sharpening system. I believe that Wootz' dedicated work in software, hardware, technique, and intensive practical research has raised the bar considerably.

Ken

wootz

Quote from: RickKrung on April 15, 2019, 08:20:35 PM
Wootz,

Could you also please provide the measurement of the thickness of the base on which the Tormek base is attached?  For those of us who make their own FVB, this would give us a reference surface we can use to compare our FVB with yours. 

Thanks.

For the record, I have also never done anything that required moving the FVB out from the case, but the length of the shafts is there on mine for when I do need it extended further. 

Rick

The FVB base is 25mm thick, the height and width are those of the XB=100.
We make it of aluminium Grade 6063, Temper 6.

The nut on the threaded leg comes into play only when I have to reproduce the edge angle by the "marker method" in wide blades and cleavers that do not fit my laser protractor. I thought of making both legs smooth, but adding  some extra flexibility never hurts, as you never know what sharpening task may pop up when you might need this. We blunt the thread so that it would not scratch the inside of the horizontal sleeves.

janeric

Just to clarify things, does the FVB need to be in contact with the body of the T8 when sharpening ordinary knifes?

wootz

Quote from: janeric on April 10, 2020, 07:20:41 AM
Just to clarify things, does the FVB need to be in contact with the body of the T8 when sharpening ordinary knifes?

Please see our video "Grinding and Honing Software for Tormek" https://youtu.be/JjLrG-2iawY - all your questions are answered there.

janeric

Hi Wootz
Thanks for the advice. I've just seen the video and your right, it answered all my questions. I don't know how I've missed that one, I thought that I had seen all that there was about Tormek 😊