News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

[YouTube] How to measure & reuse ACC-150

Started by Sharpco, March 18, 2019, 08:54:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Sharpco,

You have added another fine you tube to your channel. Like your other you tubes, this one reflects your high level of sharpening craftsmanship.

Do you use the sides of your CBN wheels? If so, you would need 300ml of fluid. My CBN wheels have abrasive just on the edge. Using just the edge, I have found that just 125ml(+5ml of ACC) is adequate. I would use 150+6ml to allow a margin for reusing.

Your measuring method is certainly precise. I have found an inexpensive spoon/graduate for children graduated in 1ml increments adequate for my needs. I also use a turkey baster to recover my solution instead of a coffee filter. The coffee filter is more thorough, however, with CBN or diamond, the particulate matter is steel and is captured by the magnet.

I appreciate your well done you tubes and find them valuable learning aids.

Keep up the good work!

Ken

Sharpco

Thank you Ken.

I have never used the side of a CBN wheel yet. But I want to use it someday.

I first tried to use the turkey baster for measuring but it was too thick to put it into the bottle of the ACC-150.

This is my first trying but I'm satisfied.  ;)

Ken S

Sharpco,

I use the turkey baster for removing water from the water trough. It has reduced my spillage to almost zero. I use the child's medicine measuring spoon for the ACC. I pour the ACC into the measuring spoon.

Ken

ps I really enjoyed the harpsichord background music in your TT-50 you tube. Good choice.
(My granddaughter tells me that I am probably the only person in the world who enjoys classical music.)

cbwx34

Quote from: SHARPCO on March 18, 2019, 08:54:22 AM
https://youtu.be/_RqliJmt1kE

How long have you stored the used water?  I had some, and after a couple of weeks (not really sure of the time), things started growing in it.  (I think one even smiled at me).    :)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Sharpco

Quote from: Ken S on March 18, 2019, 01:43:26 PM
ps I really enjoyed the harpsichord background music in your TT-50 you tube. Good choice.
(My granddaughter tells me that I am probably the only person in the world who enjoys classical music.)

I like some genres of music and classical music is one of them. I particularly liked Bach, but I chose something similar because I couldn't find it in the YouTube library. :)

Sharpco

Quote from: cbwx34 on March 18, 2019, 02:19:38 PM
How long have you stored the used water?  I had some, and after a couple of weeks (not really sure of the time), things started growing in it.  (I think one even smiled at me).    :)

I wonder how long I can keep this. But if new water and new ACC-150 are added to it, wouldn't it be okay to calculate the storage period?

John_B

I would try a few drops of bleach to keep things from growing in the water.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Sharpco

Quote from: john.jcb on March 18, 2019, 05:54:13 PM

What's the meaning of growing? My english is short.  ;)

cbwx34

Quote from: john.jcb on March 18, 2019, 05:54:13 PM

I thought of that, but a google search indicated bleach accelerates rust formation, so wasn't sure if that was a good idea?

Quote from: SHARPCO on March 19, 2019, 12:52:15 AM

What's the meaning of growing? My english is short.  ;)

Mainly mold and other things forming (growing) in the water.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Sharpco

Could it be possible to delay the growing by storing the bottle in the refrigerator?

RickKrung

Quote from: SHARPCO on March 21, 2019, 04:43:16 AM
Could it be possible to delay the growing by storing the bottle in the refrigerator?

Probably slow it a bit.  I think the freezer would be better.  If it is as much like anti-freeze as some think, it may not freeze, but it has a better chance of substantially retarding growth. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

RichColvin

Bleacj is both an oxidizing agent, and will change the pH of the solution.  It probably negates all the value of the ACC-150.  I'd stay away from it. 

Consider instead cleaning the knife in an antibiotic solution after sharpening. 

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

I detect two themes in this topic and replies: The original video by Sharpco which shows a clever method of accurately measuring, preparing and storing solution with ACC. The second theme is trying to squeeze the last bit of life out of ACC. In fairness to our members, Tormek has not shared any meaningful usage data. In light of that information gap, I propose the following program: Reuse the ACC solution for one week. (Mark the date on the storage bottle.) At the end of the week, discard it.

Ken