News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

SVM-45 and SVM-140 jig centering bushing

Started by jvh, March 15, 2019, 11:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Scotty,

This is an interesting problem. Like you, I have four or five SVM-45 jigs, as well as one each of the SVM-100 and SVM-140. Along the way, I became aware that the knife jigs made prior to 2002 had longer shafts and screw lengths.
If you are looking for more jigs, I would suggest looking for a longer pre 2002 SVM-45. The extra thread length will allow small knives to be used at the 139 mm Projection. Incidentally, i thought I might have been the first to standardize on 139 mm Projection until I realized that Dutchman predated my use.

My knife sharpening is very limited. I sharpen my own kitchen knives. My small collection includes some Henckels  I bought thirty years ago and some more recent purchases to increase my knife knowledge, mostly Victorinox fibrox to avoid bolster issues. My knives essentially fall into the factory inset limits, although I have thought of having one of my SVM-45s milled out slightly.

Personally, I like JVH's adjustable collar idea. Unless someone decides to machine and market them, the best solution seems to be to find a local machine shop. Expensive, but probably justifiable for a sharpening business. I have long recommended establishing a working relationship with a good local machinist.i

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Scotty on January 20, 2022, 11:06:37 PM
Thanks.
Still struggling with blade centering in the SVM 45.
Any suggestions other than milling the static bottom of the jig.
I often do more than one group of knives, using the length adjustment so they all have the same projection.
I have 6 SVM 45s.
Should I mill them all and use tape or shims as necessary to center as required?
Had a real problem with  very thick Japanese blade (Deba) with a concave back.
Thanks

Have you considered Herman's "Homemade Knife Rest"?

(Video showing it in use).

Also, unless your sharpening situation warrants it, I would think that milling all your jigs would just mean you'd have to shim/tape most knives you sharpen... vs. milling one or two and using them as needed?

Also, (just curious), was the Deba just too thick to clamp?  It sounds like it was single bevel, so not sure why it was an issue, unless it was just too thick to even clamp in the jig?
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Scotty

Yes, the Deba spine was about 5.5 mm.
The non bevel side was concave.
No matter how I tried to clamp it. It would rotatable so the axis of the blade was twisted and not perpendicular to the axis of the SVM45.
I finally used some shims on the concave side (popsicle sticks😁).
Since I was only (theoretically) sharpening one side, it did not matter too much if it was offset a bit.
I debarred the non bevel side with a Japanese stone flat.
Any more news on Wootz?
I tried to find an obit but was not able to do so.
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in this world. Marines don't have that problem."
President Ronald Regan

Ken S

Scotty,

For double bevel knives, I would recommend a homemade platform. This would allow both sides to be ground the full length of the knife without repositioning the knife. With a single bevel knife, the regular Tormek platform should work.

Your flat bench stone is probably your best solution for deburring the non bevel side.

I emailed Sébastien, Tormek's Australia country sales manager. He contacted the Australia importer, who had not heard anything, except that Vadim was not replying to emails. (He customarily replied promptly.) Sébastien will keep me posted if he learns anything more. I will post any news.

Ken

PS In my opinion, every Tormek knife sharpener should have a homemade small platform.

Scotty

Thanks for the reply.
Not sure what you mean by a "platform"
I have been having really good results using Wootz's programs and protocols.
Appreciate you reaching out for anything concerning Wootz. I will miss his terse and sometime funny replies z- but always informative.
I agree with you.
I do not sharpen enough "thick spine" knives to justify milling all the jigs - one should do just fine.
I had some outstanding emails in to Wootz and was curious as he usually responded quickly.
I also had an order for one of KGs CBN wheels-which apparently has shipped.
Not sure if they plan on continuing with their production of Tormek friendly CBN wheels (water tolerant).
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in this world. Marines don't have that problem."
President Ronald Regan

cbwx34

Quote from: Scotty on January 21, 2022, 10:48:15 PM
Thanks for the reply.
Not sure what you mean by a "platform"

Same thing as the "Homemade Knife Rest" I linked to earlier.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Scotty,

This is what I meant by the "platform":

https://www.tormek.com/usa/en/grinding-jigs/svd-110-tool-rest/

This is the larger jig made by Tormek. You can slide it over to give full length access to one side of your blade. The homemade smaller platforms are just under the width of the grinding wheel, so both sides fit without having to reposition the jig. Incidentally, Tormek's patented torlock design grips very tightly with no need to overtighten the screw.

Ken