News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

New book from Knife Grinders (our member, Wootz)

Started by Ken S, March 14, 2019, 10:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

One of the things I admire about Wootz is that he shares not only his knowledge, he also shows his research methods. He combines the discipline of a scholarly researcher with the practicality of a sharpener who lives in the real world.

Ken

Ripper7620

This gentlemen has the most professional tutorials I've been able to find on YouTube. I'm getting the PDF version of his sharping guide next month, and I'm gonna read it cover to cover before I purchase, and begin using the T-8.

van

What I admire about "Wootz" in addition to the competence demonstrated with facts is the great availability of communication and the sharing of its methods with the whole community. More unique than rare merit in a world full of self-centered individualists. Infinitely grateful.  :)
Kindly yours

John_B

Quote from: van on September 28, 2019, 01:15:44 PM
What I admire about "Wootz" in addition to the competence demonstrated with facts is the great availability of communication and the sharing of its methods with the whole community. More unique than rare merit in a world full of self-centered individualists. Infinitely grateful.  :)

I totally agree with you Van. The Tormek community which Wootz is a valued member reminds me in many ways of the old service station/auto repair and body shop that was on the small island I grew up on. It had a family dynamic where men and their sons would spend time there during business hours sitting around a wood burning stove in the center of the shop. I remember the men that worked there coming over and talking between jobs and they would freely teach you how to do anything if you asked and they had time. Over my pre-college years I learned many things in that shop. I can not remember anyone ever being put down for discussing something or having an opinion. Not to say there were not differences of opinion but it never felt confrontational. I am grateful that this community is here for all of us.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

wootz

The latest 4th edition of the Knife Deburring book is now in a downloadable PDF available on our website, it is not free but is priced less thanks to its digital format. Hopefully this will help to spread the knowledge better than through the printed books.
You do not have to pay twice for the new edition of the book: customers, who earlier bought the 3rd edition of our printed book or Kindle, and also want the PDF of the 4th edition, please email us for free download link. Thank you for your everlasting support!

Josu V

Good New.

I have printed edition, but is important to me to have one digital edition for a couple of reasons:

I can take it everywhere.
it's easy for me to translate the part that I don't understand well.

Purchased!!! 

I´m not sure if this expression is so correct in english, but for me, this book is and absolute "bedside book" of grinders  :D :D
Abusus non tollit usum

Morne1312

Pls can you give me the link for the book as I have had a look but cant seem to find it on your site

John_B

Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

stevebot

We all stand on the shoulders of those who came before us, and I am proud to be counted among the contributors who blazed this trail to better knife edges. But we have been remiss not to mention John Juranitch and his great book "The Razor Edge Book of Sharpening". John was the first to use the SEM as a tool for inspecting edges way back in 1977. His book is outdated but still available from Amazon and other booksellers. His pioneering article that appeared in Popular Science is out of print but there is a reproduction on my website. https://sharpeningmadeeasy.com/Juranitch1977Feb.htm
Steve Bottorff; author, teacher and consultant on knife and scissor sharpening.

Ken S

If I had to choose the most productive day I have enjoyed in ten years of working with the Tormek, it would come down to either the day I met Steve in Hartville Hardware or the day I spent with him at his home and shop. Steve has been a great mentor and friend. He is certainly one of our pioneers. Just before he retired from teaching he commissioned an outstanding DVD, Sharpening School. It is a practical,must have item for any serious knife sharpener.It is available from sharpeningmadeeasy.com.

Ken

Georgie

Quote from: Josu V on October 03, 2019, 07:11:14 PM
Good New.

I have printed edition, but is important to me to have one digital edition for a couple of reasons:

I can take it everywhere.
it's easy for me to translate the part that I don't understand well.

Purchased!!! 

I´m not sure if this expression is so correct in english, but for me, this book is and absolute "bedside book" of grinders  :D :D

Lol, I just got my hard copy for my bedside table...I love the bound format as I'm a bit old school when it comes to "study and learning" A great resource, and man the depth of knowledge it contains. With regards to an earlier question posed, I would ask Ken S. if he ever go an answer about determining a blade's composition.

Ken S

George,
I apologize; I don't remember your question....a senior moment.

I am not the one to ask about individual knife alloys. My knife "collection" is small and humble at best. My EveryDayCarry knife is a Swiss Army Tinker. My kitchen knives are mostly thirty year old Henckels. In recent years I have purchased a Barlow and a couple carbon steel Moraknivs. I have considered purchasing a couple slightly more expensive knives, however, the immense variety of choices has intimidated me. My knife needs are simple.

I suggest you contact the manufacturers or dealers. Please post your results; we have numerous knife enthusiasts of the forum.

Ken