News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Oil leather wheel when used with diamond paste?

Started by Roger M., December 29, 2019, 11:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger M.

Gentlemen, I'm currently using two different leather wheels on my T4, one with the standard Tormek honing compound (about 3 or 4 microns) and the other with 1 micron diamond paste. My question is - for best results do I oil the leather wheel I'm using the diamond paste on ... or do I just use it "dry" with only the diamond paste? (The one with the Tormek compound is well oiled).

I'm experimenting to see if I can avoid the need to purchase a separate machine with either a paper or rock hard felt wheel ... and do everything (roughly) to Wootz's specs in his book on my T4.

John_B

I am considering taking the same path as you with two leather wheels. I have been procrastinating but I think I will go to the wood working shop and get a new leather wheel soon.

My feeling is that you should lightly oil the leather before adding the spray. I think it not only conditions the leather but the small amount of oil gives the diamond particles something to hold onto so you might not need to apply it as often.

Please post your results. Thanks
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Ken S

After thinking about your question, I would tend to agree with John. Several years ago, there was a thought that, since one of the ingredients of PA-70 is oil, no extra oil should be necessary with a new leather honing wheel. I tried this with a new leather honing wheel. The unoiled PA-70 worked well enough, except for the black flakes flying off of the leather wheel. I oiled the leather wheel, and everything was fine.

The leather honing wheel, like the Tormek itself, is a hearty species. In fact, I do not believe that switching to a finer grit will ruin the wheel forever. If the grit in PA-70 never broke down, why would we ever need to put more compound on the leather wheel or purchase another tube of compound? As with many thoughts, this works better if not carried to extremes.

Ken

Roger M.

Thanks Gentlemen ... I'll give the "diamond paste" wheel a very light oil, put some more diamond paste on it, and compare it with the BESS results I've already recorded with the unoiled (diamond impregnated) leather wheel.

Josu V

I have three Leather wheels (LA-220)
One with original PA-70 honing compound, one with diamond compound 1Micron and one with diamond compound 0,25 micron + chromium oxide.
In all wheels, the first thing I make was applied oil.
I donĀ“t know the difference between use oil and not use it, but the only one thing that I can tell is the honing wheels works perfectly.

One of those, has honed more than a thousand knives and still work perfectly.

In any case, I will be expectant for your BESS tests results.

Regards
Abusus non tollit usum

brute

After oiling leather wheel, I use extender fluid from Kingsley, Lapindery Equipment. This extender fluid is made to be used with diamond compounds. LOL

Georgie

One of the better sharpeners I've read here on the forum (his board name eludes me at the moment) has a video of exactly this process pic on his YouTube Channel,  Sharpco Knives

https://youtu.be/kO1dyGxa3Rg

I was also intrigued by one of his replies to a question on that video about the success he had using the pastes. You might want to read the comments as well.