News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Newbie with question about water quality

Started by Yardbird, March 12, 2019, 11:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yardbird

Greetings all!
Sorry for the edit-hit the wrong key. My question concerns using softened water for the trough. Our well water is very heavily softened (it will leave white deposits on the dish drainer within a few days of cleaning). Will this accumulating in the stone harm it? It must be sodium chloride and I wonder if it builds up enough if it would somehow change the stone's properties.... Thanx for looking and for any assistance!

Twisted Trees

We have white deposits from our water, but that is hard water with limestone dissolved into it. that is relatively harmless but even so I use rainwater from my workshop roof because the tap is closer.

Sodium Chloride is salt, and that is corrosive to most things (does it taste of salt?) so I would be inclined to do the same, get a water butt (mine is 40 gallons and that is good and full here in rainy UK) fill it from the workshop roof and have a tap next to the door,  that water is distilled into the clouds and pretty clean of chemicals.

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Yardbird. I would think that if water quality was a real problem with the Tormek, Torgny Jansson would have mentioned it in the handbook, which he wrote in the era before stainless steel shafts.

It may be overkill, however, you could use distilled water from the grocery store or your basement dehumidifier. Either way, please keep your Great Black Swampy water in Northwest Ohio. I'm quite happy with my Columbus city water.   :D (Just kidding)

Ken

ps You might want to run your question by support (support@tormek.se)

Yardbird

Thanx, Ken S, and Twisted Trees for your thoughts! I think I will err on the safe side and use water not from our tap! It does taste salty from the softener, and our well water is full of dissolved limestone, and hydrogen sulfide, as well!!

John_B

With respect to the waste water after you are done using the Tormek; it is also recommended that you do not pour the waste water along with any solid waste down the drain. It tends to accumulate and can cause a stoppage. I pour mine into a bucket and use the water outdoors on my trees.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Yardbird

john.jcb   Using the water outside for the plants is a great idea! Thanx

Ken S

The cooking shows recommend not using any sine for cooking that younwould not drind. Maybe we should extend that to include not using any water in your Tormek trough that you would not drink.   Ken

Darrell C

My water is so hard you never put your sharp knive in it  to wash cause they will get dull, lol lol, our water is VERY HARD , I use spring bottled water in my t8 tray.