News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Price of ACC-150

Started by Sharpco, March 04, 2019, 04:42:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharpco

With my 10"(254.2mm) CBN wheel, T-8 needs 350~500ml of water and 13~19ml of ACC-150.

The amazon price of ACC-150(300ml) is 49.95 USD.

13ml/300ml = 23.08  >>> 23.08 / 49.95 USD = 2.16 USD
19ml/300ml= 15.79   >>> 15.79 / 49.95 USD = 3.16 USD

So, we have to pay 2~3 USD each time.

Ken S

I must disagree with two aspects of your price calculations:

First, only 125ml of fluid (I use 125ml of water and 5ml of ACC.) is necessary when using the circumference of the wheel with the T8. Unlike the Original grinding wheels, the diamond wheels do not absorb water. Incidentally, the T7 water trough requires 200ml water plus 8ml of ACC. The T4 requires 75ml water plus 3ml of water.

If you need to use the side of a diamond wheel for flat grinding, you will need more water and ACC. The first time I tried this, I filled the trough to the edge of the side abrasive. I had much spillage; you only need to fill part way. Fill gradually until you reach an optimal amount.

I generally save my diluted ACC water. I siphon the clear liquid out with a turkey baster and place it if a plastic peanut butter jar, which I seal with the lid. I remove the captured grindings and clean the trough with a paper towel. This keeps my drain pipes clean. The solution can be reused several times. Tormek has not stated any usable life data. As I think ACC may help keep my Original grinding wheels cleaner, after recycling with diamond wheels, I plan to have a final recycle with the Original wheel.

As you are a professional sharpener grinding a much higher number of knives than I do, you may wish to use a smaller number or solution recycles. In your case, I would calculate the amount and cost of the ACC you use and divide that into the revenue you project from the number of knives you sharpen, including an efficiency factor if using the diamond wheels lowers your time per sharpened knife.

Ken

Sharpco

Ken.

I checked it again.

First, I lifted the trough as much as possible.(4 times) and put only minimal water. Check my image. The water bottle initially had 1L of water.

And I think we should consider the amount of water lost outside the trough. I can always see it on the RB-180.

So, I think the minimum amount of water for using ACC-150 is 200ml + @.

I like your idea of reusing the ACC-150.

RickKrung

I do not like how much the ACC costs either.  I think I am less inclined to use the diamond wheels as a result, subconsciously at least.  Two ways that I try to conserve and reuse the mixed ACC/water solution:

1) To capture water spilled outside the machine is a fiberglass cafeteria tray.  It isn't as large (14"x18") as the Tormek Rubber Mat (13.5"x21") but it is a whole lot cheaper.  I no longer use the Rotating Base, primarily because I don't rotate the machine, I do all the work from the front, but it interferes with solution recovery too.  When enough ACC/water has spilled, and it is ALOT, I lift the machine off the tray and pour the water back in the trough. 

2) I filter used ACC/water through coffee filters, using the Melita style paper cone filters in the plastic cones.  I pour the used ACC/water into a recycled sour cream or cottage cheese container for short term storage and ease of pouring it into the coffee filter.  Filtered ACC/water is stored in a wide-mouth, plastic Mason-type jar.  I'm able to recover 50% or so of what I started with and reuse it for a week or two, replenishing with fresh solution as needed to maintain the level in the trough.  I've let used solution sit for longer, but sometimes it seems like stuff is growing in there, so I toss it when it starts to look alive. 

Both are visible in the photo, tray under the machine and coffee filter in the upper right corner.

Also visible in the upper right corner is the 500cc Nalgene bottle I use for mixing and storing fresh ACC/water and the 50cc graduated cylinder that I use to measure out the amount of ACC needed when mixing it up into the Nalgene bottle.  Used/filtered solution never goes into the Nalgene bottle.

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ken S

We may be using different methods of filling the water trough. With the motor running, I gradually add water in the trough until I can see it running over the top of the grinding wheel. This is the same way I fill the trough using the Original grinding wheels. The difference is that the original wheels absorb some water, and I have to add some gradually until the stone no longer absorbs water. Diamond and CBN wheels do not absorb, therefore, once the water starts to flow over the wheel, that is enough. I do not pay any attention to fill lines in the trough; the water flowing over the wheel is the indicator.

I have found that this method uses less water and dramatically reduces the amount of spilled water. The other technique which reduces spill is using the turkey baster. I usually have a very small amount of spill, perhaps ten to twenty drops. I use the Tormek Rubber Mat. It is luxurious, although not inexpensive. I like Rick's lipped tray idea, and could happily work with it. With such a tray, I would probably not bother with the rotating base.

Using this fill method, I need 125ml with the T8; 200ml with the T7; and 75ml with the T4. The lesser amount with the T8 is due to the rounded bottom design of the trough which more closely hugs the wheel and the lift, which raises the trough closer to the wheel. These quantities are only for grinding with the edge of the wheel. I do not yet use the side of the wheel. This may change if I decide to change to flat grinding turning skew chisels and possibly other operations. For most operations, I see no need for flat grinding.

Using Sharpco's cost figures ($49.95 for 300 ml), I arrive at $.1665 per ml. Let's be sloppy in our math, and round that to $.17. That works out to $.85 for 3ml (125 ml water) or $1.36 for 8ml (200ml water). Divide that cost into the revenue generated by the knives sharpened. For easy math, let's choose a very slow day and only $100 income. That makes the cost of the ACC used around 1% of the revenue. Reusing it would lower that cost.

In the future, I will certainly stock up on ACC at woodworking shows with the typical unadvertised 20% discount.

Ken

Sharpco

Rick.

I like your idea of Nalgene bottle & graduated cylinder. How do you put the ACC-150 to graduated cylinder? Do you use a Baster or a Spoid?

Ken S

Sharpco,

Check ebay. I found two reputable Tormek dealers listing the same ACC -150 package for $39.95 with free shipping.

Ken

RickKrung

Quote from: SHARPCO on March 04, 2019, 10:20:15 AM
Rick.

I like your idea of Nalgene bottle & graduated cylinder. How do you put the ACC-150 to graduated cylinder? Do you use a Baster or a Spoid?

To get the ACC from the bottle to the graduated cylinder, I simply pour it in - very carefully and slowly.  Width of the graduated cylinder is about 0.890" (22.6mm), which is close to that of the ACC bottle, so pouring it is fairly easy.  The distance between 1ml graduation lines is about 0.10" (2.6mm) so it isn't hard to be relatively accurate.  Of course, my training and experience as a biologist, having taken analytical chemistry in college and actually use graduated cylinders and the like in my work life affords me some muscle memory that helps.  This graduated cylinder is left over from my black and white darkroom supplies. 

As for the rotating base, if I worked from both sides of the machine and rotated it, I would probably still be using the RB.  I'd just be tipping it up to drain the spilled ACC/water solution from it into the cafeteria tray when salvaging the solution.  I don't use it because I don't rotate the machine to work from the rear of it. 

The rubber mat looks like it could serve nearly the same function as my tray, except, if it is floppy rather than rigid like my tray, it may be cumbersome or awkward to get the solution from the mat to the sour cream container.  The only issue I've had with the tray is that is tends to move/shift in use.  I think if I put a sheet of rubber underneath it, it would help keep it from moving.  This has not been enough of an issue for me to actually do that and I even have an ample supply of 1/16" rubber sheet that I have from making skirts for protecting my machine tool ways from metal chips. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Sharpco

Quote from: Ken S on March 04, 2019, 02:25:02 PM
Check ebay. I found two reputable Tormek dealers listing the same ACC -150 package for $39.95 with free shipping.
Thank you Ken, but I can't find it. Could you send me links?

Sharpco

Quote from: RickKrung on March 04, 2019, 04:02:24 PM
To get the ACC from the bottle to the graduated cylinder, I simply pour it in - very carefully and slowly.  Width of the graduated cylinder is about 0.890" (22.6mm), which is close to that of the ACC bottle, so pouring it is fairly easy.  The distance between 1ml graduation lines is about 0.10" (2.6mm) so it isn't hard to be relatively accurate.  Of course, my training and experience as a biologist, having taken analytical chemistry in college and actually use graduated cylinders and the like in my work life affords me some muscle memory that helps.  This graduated cylinder is left over from my black and white darkroom supplies. 

As for the rotating base, if I worked from both sides of the machine and rotated it, I would probably still be using the RB.  I'd just be tipping it up to drain the spilled ACC/water solution from it into the cafeteria tray when salvaging the solution.  I don't use it because I don't rotate the machine to work from the rear of it. 

The rubber mat looks like it could serve nearly the same function as my tray, except, if it is floppy rather than rigid like my tray, it may be cumbersome or awkward to get the solution from the mat to the sour cream container.  The only issue I've had with the tray is that is tends to move/shift in use.  I think if I put a sheet of rubber underneath it, it would help keep it from moving.  This has not been enough of an issue for me to actually do that and I even have an ample supply of 1/16" rubber sheet that I have from making skirts for protecting my machine tool ways from metal chips. 

Thanks Rick :)

John_B

Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Ken S

I can vouch for Hartville Hardware. I have been a very satisfied customer there fir more than forty five years.

I believe "Delaware Wolf" is Wolfgang Derke, the President of Advanced Machinery in New Castle, Delaware. I think Delaware Wolf is Advanced's ebay channel. Jeff Farris directed me to Advanced when I needed to replace my stolen T7. I did not need to duplicate all the accessories; Hans Derke was very accommodating. I have had very good service with several orders since then.

Ken

John_B

Yes Delaware Wolf is Advanced Machinery.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Hatchcanyon

My personal feelings about ACC-150 are not very positive but lets look at the facts first:

The Security Data Sheet declares the product as a solution of Dodecanedioic Acid at >1 <10% concentration. This means one Liter of the ACC - fluid holds in between 10 to 100 grams of the acid which comes as a powder.

The chemical itself is a common one which can be easily buyed at chemical dealers (Merck for example). I got prices of about $70 for 100 grams or about $280 for a 500 gram package.

Considering a medial conecntration of 5% one can manufacture 2 Liters for $ 70 (resp. 10 Liters for $ 280). That means approximately 4.5 to 6 $ for a bottle. (Considering the minimum specified concentration of > 1% makes it much cheaper!)

I suppose Tormek gets much better conditions buying in larger quantities.

Do I have made an error? If not the price for the ACC-150 seems to me more like a robbery than a fair deal.

Just my five cents!
German with a second home in the American Southwestern Desert - loves Old England too.