News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

SVD-185 vs SVS-50

Started by metalman, February 02, 2004, 06:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalman

I would like recommendations for which jig to get for sharpening my carving chisels. I already have the SVS-32 but I don't seem to get a good edge on my straight gouges. All my chisels so far have a straight shank (skew,gouges with different sweeps, v-tool).
thanks,

Jeff Farris

It sounds like you have the right jig and the wrong technique.  The SVS-50 won't do anything different than the SVS-32 and the SVD-185 would only be necessary for bent gouges.
Jeff Farris

metalman

Any suggestions about what I'm doing wrong would be appreciated.  One problem I have is that the #32 attachment seems to limit the right and left tilt so that it doesn't follow the sweep of the chisel enough to get the grind on both corners.  Another problem seems that I don't get the correct curve of the gouge and that it is flatter in the middle and not curved enough. Last problem is that the gouge edge is not straight but seems to become convex at the tip.  I read the book, looked at the movie and I'm trying hard but there must be something simple I'm overlooking.
Thanks,

Jeff Farris

If it is convex, you are spending too much time on the sides and not enough in the center. Your "flatter in the middle" comment would tend to support that.  While the SVS-32 limits the side-to-side movement, it should not be enough to cause a problem, and the fact that you are getting a convex shape would indicate that you are over-grinding the sides, not under-grinding them.  If you have a digital camera, post a pic of your gouge, and diagnosis of the problem will be easier.
Jeff Farris