News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

holding an Ulu

Started by BuffaloBladeworks, February 26, 2019, 06:43:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuffaloBladeworks

Hi all,
I am a new owner of a T-8. I am a fan of Ulu blades for some of my cutting chores.
My question is: is there a fixture or holder to hold or modify to hold an Ulu blade? I realize I can free hand the blade but would like to be more controlled as it is M-2 steel and can take a while to get the edge I desire. Thank you in advance for any ideas or direction
Thank you
Fuzzy

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Fuzzy. I had never heard of an Ulu knife. I found a photo of one:

https://www.lehmans.com/product/lehmans-ulu-knife-and-bowl-set/

My suggestion would be to make a wooden jig similar to the SVM-45, but oversized to hold your Ulu knife. I would try to include a pivot style end stop.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: BuffaloBladeworks on February 26, 2019, 06:43:31 PM
Hi all,
I am a new owner of a T-8. I am a fan of Ulu blades for some of my cutting chores.
My question is: is there a fixture or holder to hold or modify to hold an Ulu blade? I realize I can free hand the blade but would like to be more controlled as it is M-2 steel and can take a while to get the edge I desire. Thank you in advance for any ideas or direction
Thank you
Fuzzy

I have a small Ulu knife... I can freehand sharpen it decent enough... but the only way I could sharpen it with a jig is with the Homemade Knife Rest

(Sorry if the blue tape is confusing... I tape the blade to keep it from scratching, and just used a piece to hold it on the jig for the photo).

Part of the answer is going to depend on style, how much curve, attached handle?, where the "pivot point" of the knife curve is, etc. to determine what else may work.  For example I tried using the SVM-45, but the "swing" was too great to keep it on the USB, and it's too curved to just "lift" to reach the sides... it would change the blade shape (a lot).

Be interested to see any other ideas too.  If you find one... share! :)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

BuffaloBladeworks

Thank you all, for the ideas and direction. I am going to try and build a jig with the ability to pivot, etc. will post what I come up with, well if I am successful :)
Regards
Fuzzy

Ken S

cbwx34

Quote from: BuffaloBladeworks on February 28, 2019, 08:04:49 PM
Thank you all, for the ideas and direction. I am going to try and build a jig with the ability to pivot, etc. will post what I come up with, well if I am successful :)
Regards
Fuzzy

I was helping a friend move a couple of days ago, when I spotted an Ulu... so I borrowed it for some testing.

One of the points I noted, was the "pivot point" for the blade curve, in this case was just behind the handle (in the center obviously).  (I'm thinking most would be similar)? 

I tried several methods (beside the Platform Jig), and one idea I came up with was based on the Lansky Jig (some serious "adapting"  :-[ )...

... I didn't have the screws to test it, but my thought is, put a longer screw (where the black line is) with a washer & nut on each side.  This would have the screw sticking out on both sides (like the black line), giving you a pivot point for the jig on the USB, that would be close to the pivot needed for the curve.  (Edit: If they're all chisel grinds like this one, then even simpler... just a long screw extending on one side... and you might be able to adapt the SVM-45 to do that... ;) ).

Maybe?  : ???

Ken S

I have long thought that Herman's small platform could be even more versatile with interchangeable top pieces. A top (or several for different sizes) would be a good candidate for one of these tops.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on March 02, 2019, 05:29:52 PM
I have long thought that Herman's small platform could be even more versatile with interchangeable top pieces. A top (or several for different sizes) would be a good candidate for one of these tops.

Ken

You could drill a hole and add a pivot (or some other idea) to the Platform Jig... thought about it, but too lazy to try.  :o  (Just using my thumb seemed to work).

I think you really just need a pivot point... one other thing I tried, just to see how well it tracked across the stone, was added a simple pivot point with a Stop Collar...

... gets the "point" across. ;) 8)

Edit:  One other thing I'll mention, you might end up slightly modifying the shape to adapt it to the Tormek (no matter what you try)... that's not the end of the world... just "fitting" the knife to work with  how or what you sharpen with... especially with a guided system.  (This can happen with any style knife).

BuffaloBladeworks

CB,
Thank you for all the work and different ideas. I have been working on the "Lansky" idea today and it seems to be a good fit for me. Thank you.
I have some time over the next few days so will get out to my shop and put it to a test.
Regards
Fuzzy

cbwx34

Quote from: BuffaloBladeworks on March 02, 2019, 07:59:22 PM
CB,
Thank you for all the work and different ideas. I have been working on the "Lansky" idea today and it seems to be a good fit for me. Thank you.
I have some time over the next few days so will get out to my shop and put it to a test.
Regards
Fuzzy

You're welcome... hope something works out.  (Some of my ideas are "rough" around the edges...). ;)

Sharpco

cbwx34

Quote from: SHARPCO on March 03, 2019, 12:32:21 AM
How about axe jig?

Tried that... sits way too far back to be effective as is, (that I could tell)... if you look at the pictures where the pivot is in relation to the USB, then look at the ax jig... most of the "gap" would have to be filled, then you don't have much jig left to help... maybe I missed something, but didn't work for the sample I had... set too far back to set the needed angle, without some kind of mod.  Plus it doesn't really 'hold' the knife, (and you also can't lock the jig to the USB, like a Platform Jig).

(I'd take another look, but already returned it).  :-\

BuffaloBladeworks

Quote from: cbwx34 on March 02, 2019, 08:43:27 PM

You're welcome... hope something works out.  (Some of my ideas are "rough" around the edges...). ;)

CB,
I blatantly stole your idea of the "Lansky" holder for my Ulu and other curved blades that are similar. It worked well.
I will be going to the local hardware store and getting some long angle brackets and some screws and bolts,to "Roughly" put together :) a fixture dedicated to this type of blade. While I am not real good at photo posting, I will post a picture once I get it in a presentable form. Thank you again
Fuzzy

cbwx34

Quote from: BuffaloBladeworks on March 13, 2019, 12:49:27 AM
CB,
I blatantly stole your idea of the "Lansky" holder for my Ulu and other curved blades that are similar. It worked well.
I will be going to the local hardware store and getting some long angle brackets and some screws and bolts,to "Roughly" put together :) a fixture dedicated to this type of blade. While I am not real good at photo posting, I will post a picture once I get it in a presentable form. Thank you again
Fuzzy

Awesome.  Thanks for the update, glad it's working for you!