News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

OH NO! T8 is Hot

Started by Darrell C, February 16, 2019, 03:03:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darrell C

My Son came over and wanted to borrow my truck, he got the keys and I started my T8 to do some blades, he came back and said DEAD battery, I thought I turned it off , but went out the one thing led to another I then went back to my T8 and it has been running for 3+ hours it is pretty hot, hope I didn't cook it, letting it cool down now, any one else do this or am I freaking out. plus arn't the bearings like plastic bushings?

jeffs55

They were rated for continuous duty or so I thought. You are ok.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Ken S

The T8 has both a motor rated for continuous duty, plus the machined zinc top pioneered in the T4. The zinc top acts as a radiator to help disperse heat.

You also have Tormek's seven year warranty.

Yes, the "bearings" are nylon bushings. With a high speed grinder this would be a problem. With the 90 RPM Tormek, the nylon bushings are quite adequate. Clean and regrease then annually and you should have no problems. I once asked a Tormek expert how often the bushings should be replaced. He recommended after wearing out every three grinding wheels. I happen to know that he has worn out at least eight grinding wheels with his SuperGrind, and probably more!

I would recommend turning your Tormek off before leaving the shop.   :)

Ken

Darrell C

Thanks guys, yea after I posted I started thinking that this is an industral machine, if anything I may have just broke it in.

Steelhead58

I had my T8 running for more than 4 hours at a time with no issues if that helps:)
Terry

Fernando

Quote from: Steelhead58 on February 17, 2019, 06:58:30 PM
I had my T8 running for more than 4 hours at a time with no issues if that helps:)
Terry

I have a question, what is the average temperature in degrees Celsius of the city where you live? I ask why when I received my new tormek t-8, after 1 month of work I did not continue my tormek turn off, after 2 hours of work, when I spoke with the technical support he said it was very rare that it happened but that the machine it goes off by itself for safety when the machine is very hot, and I think the weather can affect the machine, the weather in my city is between 25 and 33 degrees Celsius, the day my tormek went off the weather was hot.

Hatchcanyon

I have a question, what is the average temperature in degrees Celsius of the city where you live?

Not having a T8 but a T7.... and it never became too hot.

But I think not the average temperature of the outside is important, it is the room temperature that counts. My old shop was fairly constant, not below 12°C in winter and not above 25°C on a very hot summer day. (~54°F - 77°F). With the new shop I have not enough experience.

Rolf
German with a second home in the American Southwestern Desert - loves Old England too.

cbwx34

Quote from: Hatchcanyon on February 20, 2019, 05:32:11 PM
I have a question, what is the average temperature in degrees Celsius of the city where you live?

But I think not the average temperature of the outside is important, it is the room temperature that counts. My old shop was fairly constant, not below 12°C in winter and not above 25°C on a very hot summer day. (~54°F - 77°F). With the new shop I have not enough experience.

Rolf

If I recall correctly, Fernando was mobile sharpening... so may have been outside.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Hatchcanyon

QuoteIf I recall correctly, Fernando was mobile sharpening... so may have been outside.

Ok, sorry, thats an argument!

Rolf
German with a second home in the American Southwestern Desert - loves Old England too.

Fernando

Quote from: cbwx34 on February 20, 2019, 08:30:10 PM
Quote from: Hatchcanyon on February 20, 2019, 05:32:11 PM

Rolf

If I recall correctly, Fernando was mobile sharpening... so may have been outside.

is correct, make a sharpening on the outside, with professional kitchen knives, and after 2 hours my tormek went off, I was afraid to think that it had been damaged, and do not try to turn it on again, talk to the technical support, and I answered what I have already commented, but I must also say, that once the tormek was cold, it turned on and operated normally, after that, I have continued using it but every half hour I am touching the metal of the leather wheel, and verifying how hot it is, and I'm letting the machine rest.