News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek SJ-250

Started by Darrell C, February 11, 2019, 08:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GKC

I will echo the endorsement of the Sabitoru rust eraser (I have a slight preference for the coarse over the fine version), and it might be that other rust erasers (abrasive-filled rubber) would work as well as the Sabitoru.  The Sabitoru is a favourite among flat stone sharpeners for cleaning stones between flatenings; as Darrell noted with his SJ, it cleans stones up like new.

Gord

Darrell C

I had ordered a package of 2, assuming it was medium and a fine, in which they came and it ended up being a pair of Medium grade, I think, as the writing is in Japanese, and the texture feels the same....

cbwx34

Quote from: Darrell C on February 20, 2019, 11:23:19 PM
I had ordered a package of 2, assuming it was medium and a fine, in which they came and it ended up being a pair of Medium grade, I think, as the writing is in Japanese, and the texture feels the same....

There's a distinct difference in feel (and writing) between the medium and fine I have, so you probably do have two the same.

It'll just work faster. ;)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

bisonbladesharpening

Medium has white writing and the Fine has red writing

cbwx34

Quote from: bisonbladesharpening on February 22, 2019, 04:26:36 PM

Hate it when I overlook the obvious. 👀
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Welcome to the club, CB.

(It's all obvious in hind sight.  :)  )

Ken

Darrell C

Quote from: bisonbladesharpening on February 22, 2019, 04:26:36 PM
well that settles that, a pair of mediums for me.

Ken S

I have a set of three different grit "rust erasers", a very similar product. I have had them for almost twenty five years and have found them very useful for many small jobs over the years. They remove oxidation from tools, even minor rust. I  think they should be a staple in every sharpener's and home handyman's kit.

Ken