News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Another self-centering knife jig prototype

Started by DelBoy, February 03, 2019, 06:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DelBoy

Here is my take on a self-centering knife jig. It is also based off of the Lansky holder. I used 0.25" x 1" aluminum stock and beveled the edge holding the knife to clear the grinding wheel. Like the Lansky, the front screw clamps on the blade and accounts for the thickness and rear screw tightens it down. It holds very well! The distance from the universal holder bar and blade is rough adjusted by moving the bolts to different holes. Fine adjustments to get the desired angle are by adjusting the universal bar height. I also made an archery broad-head prototype - still need to work on the angle...

Derek

hunter

cbwx34

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Jan

Thanks for posting. Simple and inspiring knife jig design.
Jan

GeoTech

Has anyone tried the Robert Sorby Limited knife sharpening jig?

Ken S

I have not used the Sorby knife jig. However, here is a link to Sorby's video about it:

https://youtu.be/75IjJO_DQqg

I may be wrong, however, at first glance it seems somewhat tipsy. It also seems "fiddly" requiring many set up steps. I don't see any advantages over the Tormek jigs. Please feel free to correct me if I am incorrect.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: GeoTech on February 28, 2019, 04:34:36 PM
Has anyone tried the Robert Sorby Limited knife sharpening jig?

I hadn't seen it... I emailed the company to see if it was "self-centering".  This is the reply I got...

QuoteHere is a link to their instructional video on Y-Tube. After viewing it you can decide
if it is self centering. I hope this helps, if you have any other
questions please let me know.
Thanks

Roger Durst

I think that translates to NO::)

p.s.  He didn't send a video link either.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

hunter

The Jig in not self centering because the Long Pin whit the Stopcollar is fixed on one Site of the clamp.

When you use a Knife whit a thicker Blade it automaticly not centered like the Tormek Jig.

hunter

On the Idea from DelBoy i built my own Self Centering Jig.

Now i can clamp Knifes who had not a straight Blade to get the same Bevel on every Side.

I must not longer use shimps.

Thanks for your Inspiration!!!!

hunter

Where are my Pictures from Reply #8?

A few Hours ago there was here?

Ken S

I have notice that photos seem to disappear if one is not logged in.

Ken

hunter

Ken S

Hunter,

A little more information for you and the rest of the forum: Over the years as moderator, I do not recall ever taking down any photos. The very few posts that I have deleted have usually been my own which were confusing.

Most of the time, I do not believe that anyone from Tormek in Sweden follows the forum. For the record, I think it would be beneficial both for us and for Tormek if the staff did follow us.

I am far from a computer genius. Sometimes I think that things just happen with computers (not a very scientific explanation).....

Ken

Elden

Quote from: Ken S on May 08, 2019, 10:53:08 PM

Most of the time, I do not believe that anyone from Tormek in Sweden follows the forum. For the record, I think it would be beneficial both for us and for Tormek if the staff did follow us.

I notice "admin" logged in fairly often. Maybe my login habits are weird. ;)
Elden

Ken S

Elden,

It's good to hear from you. I have also noticed admin logging in from time to time. I think that is mostly for IT housekeeping. For the record, I hope Sweden is following us. In fact, I wish they would actively participate.

You may have noticed that posts are occasionally critical of Tormek, including some of mine. However, the criticism is always constructive. This general topic about knife jigs is an excellent example. We all know that there is room for improvement with the Tormek knife jigs. I believe Tormek probably feels the same way. When Tormek redesigned the gouge and square edge jigs, substantial improvements in both cases, they were given slightly different designations. With the minor upgrades to the knife jig (zinc and the O ring), the jig designation remained the same. In my opinion, other projects have taken priority over the knife jig. Last I knew, Tormek has a total staff of around twenty. That makes much work for a few people. I keep expecting to see new knife jigs.

Our ideas are good. The only downside is that by posting them, it makes it more difficult for Tormek to produce a jig with patent protection. My advice to the forum is when a jig is offered for sale by a member, order one. This both supports our group and makes sure you have one if they become out of production. I am very glad that I purchased both Robin Bailey's extended support bar and the US-400 long support bar which Tormek reintroduced on a limited (now sold out) basis.

I encourage all of us to tinker and make better mouse traps. Doing so does not mean that the Tormek is a bad machine. It means that it is a fine machine, which is capable of being even better.

Ken