News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

adhesive pads for Tormek knife jigs

Started by Ken S, January 24, 2019, 02:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I recently saw this listing on Ebay. For ten dollars, I was curious and ordered a set.

The idea seems clever, and the pads seem well made. My concern is the thickness. The pads are approximately 1 mm thick. The milled slot in the SVM-45 is .75mm deep. The adhevive pads are eack 1 mm thick. The pads probably prevent scratching; I just wonder about centering. Here is a link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Adhesive-Felt-Pads-for-Tormek-Knife-Jigs-Improved-Grip-Blade-Protection-2-Sets/192793719670?hash=item2ce366b376:g:TzoAAOSw0vJcP~~q

Ken

GKC

Quote from: Ken S on January 24, 2019, 02:53:17 AM
I just wonder about centering.
Ken

Hmm, yes, centring will be something to think about.  The jigs are machined to be centred with blade that is 2mm thick where it is clamped.  So, it seems to me that when you add a spacer (felt or whatever) to the fixed half of the jig, you will move a 2mm thick blade off centre (and a >2mm blade further off centre), and this won't be offset by having the same spacer on the moveable half of the jig.

Presumably the felt will compress, so if you have a blade that is less than 2mm thick, it could help with the centring.

Gord

John_B

Will you be doing a write up once you have a chance to test the pad?
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Ken S

Good thought, John. It had not occurred to me because of the thickness of the pads. On further reflection, I don't think that will make much difference with most kitchen cutlery. I will post a test.

Gord, just place the side of the knife you don't want to scratch next to the movable side of the jig.  :-\

Ken

GKC

I was thinking some more about this product. 

We are all used to putting something like packing tape on our knives to prevent the jig from scratching it: that is about .05mm, so probably not an amount that is relevant to centring.  But most of my kitchen knives are about 1.25-1.75mm thick where I clamp them, so they could use a little shimming to be centred in the Tormek knife jigs. 

As long as the 1mm felt pads compress to about 0.5mm, they would improve or be neutral for the centring knives like mine.  For a knife that is thicker than 1.75mm, you would be worsening the centring, albeit only by a small amount.

Gord

texaspro

I have these. They work great! I know the guy who designed makes them. Excellent craftsmen and a good guy. Well worth the $8.