News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Jig setting knife block

Started by EKBoston, January 10, 2019, 02:44:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EKBoston

Anyone who is interested in making one of Wootz's knife jig setting block for me PM me.

Ken S

Ed,

I suggest you contact Wootz. He sells them.  Here is a link to his website:

http://knifegrinders.com.au

Ken

EKBoston

I've been all over his site. Must have missed it. I commented on one of his videos asking just for the dementions. I'll have a neighbor who can dato cut the piece. It does not make sense to buy it with the cost of shipping. Love his videos so much content to view and replay for a nube like me.

wootz

Hi mate, I did reply.
But Google Chrome have announced they are aware of that YouTube replies may be not showing.
You can see the YouTube comments with all replies using FireFox or Microsoft Edge browser.

The knife jig setting block is a simple piece but accurate and speeds up setting knives in the jig. Its main function is to align the knife edge parallel to the plane of the jig adjustable stop (the black plastic part); the 2nd function is to measure the jig projection for use with our software.
Having the knife edge (not the spine) strictly in parallel to the jig adjustable stop is a prerequisite for uniform apexing and getting ultimate sharpness.

The warehouse where you buy the wooden block 90x90mm, usually sold by 1m, will cut it to your length for free, e.g. mine is 27 cm long, they will also cut for you a 5cm offcut for aligning the blade. If you sharpen short blades, you can also ask for one more 3cm offcut.
The industrial circular saw they use gives a square cut that you cannot get manually.

The 8mm x 20mm border plank is of oak in my case, just should be some dense wood.
The 8mm border plank height + 1mm s/s ruler thickness make the perfect fit for the knife in the Tormek knife jig to rest on it (e.g. when I tried 10mm plank it did not work well).

I pre-drill the s/s ruler, then thoroughly align with the margin of the border plank, and mark holes in the plank, and pre-drill it as well.
Then thoroughly align the end of the border plank with the wooden block and glue it.
As it has cured, I screw in the ruler.

Using this setting block you will immediately start getting sharper knives and nicer bevels, even without our software.

More photos are in the Equipment section of our website.
Obviously, it has no commercial sense to make them for sale because of the postage cost.
http://knifegrinders.com.au/05Equipment.htm

EKBoston

Thank you Wootz.
Just one last question. What are the dementions from the top of the SS ruler to the bottom of the jig? Is the cut 9mm?

wootz

Rudolf from Austria sent us a photo of his jig-setting block: