News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Great article: what steel gets sharpest

Started by RichColvin, December 16, 2018, 12:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichColvin

---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

GKC

That is an interesting article.

However, after an insightful discussion of which metal gets sharper, he finishes with a statement about edge holding that puzzles me.  He concludes his piece by saying "If you sharpen very frequently, which you should, then the difference in edge holding is really marginal."

I don't understand this statement.  I would have thought it axiomatic that if the edge is holding better, you don't have to sharpen as frequently.

Put another way, as a turner, I do sharpen frequently, but it makes more than a "marginal" difference to me whether I have to go back to the wheel 4 times while shaping a bowl or just once (or not at all).  I see edge holding as an important element in the frequency of sharpening.  It is not that I have to sharpen four times anyway, it is that I either have to sharpen once or four times.

I have posted the question to Lucas via the article, but the Q&A feature doesn't have a way of coming back to me.  If he finds the question interesting, perhaps he will expand on it in the magazine.

In any case, that is a side issue, I found the observations about how the different metals take an edge--the point of his article--very interesting.

Gord

RichColvin

Gord,

I agree.  I sharpen often as I want to keep a consistent process going.  That's why I like using a Tormek:  it doesn't take away much steel!

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.